Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

AriTech alarm, UPC and Digital Dialer.

• 16-09-2011 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Can a Digital dialer that is currently connected to my Aritech CS250 alarm be used in the same way if I change my Phone supplier to UPC. At present if the alarm goes off and I don't enter code within 30 secs, alarm goes off and dialer rings my mobile and 2 others if not answered. The eircom line coming into my house is first connected to the alarm so it gets priority, but UPC phoneline is over the internet.

Rang UPC, got their Tech dept, might as well talk to the wall. Anyone out there know if this can be done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You need to disconnect the existing cable going to your Dialer and reconnect a new cable from the back of your UPC modem. You will need an rj11 connector and crimps but it might be easier to cut a spare telephone cable you have laying around the house and join the new cable from the alarm to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It will work perfectly. Your alarm dialler is no different to a standard ohine which plugs into your UPC router. I really don't get why UPC tech staff are finding this so hard to grasp.:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cycle43

So, there's no reason why my dialer won't work if I change over to UPC. Rang them and got 2 different answers. So basically I'll need a new telephone cable from the new router to the digi dialer? Will it still take priority over all connections if alarm goes off? Thanks for all the help, haven't much knowledge of what I'm doing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What you do is disconnect your eircom line coming in then patch your upc line into existing phone connections using a double rj11 socket. I'm on a mobile at the moment soI can't go into more detail. There is a post somewhere with diagrams etc.
    Have a search around . If you don't find it pm me and ill do something up tomorrow.

Here is how we do it with line seizure.
    Get one double RJ 11 socket.
    31jxft0HwnL._SY300_.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    316KK-y%2BqmL.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    Remember if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cycle43

Koolkid, thanks for that. Sounds handy enough. You would think the clowns in UPC could tell me this info.

You would imagine so, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

cycle43 wrote: »
    You would think the clowns in UPC could tell me this info.

You would but they will just tell you that is does not with UPC, everyone else knows it does though :D

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Can I ask if thats all I need to hook my HKC alarm back up to UPC modem?

We moved from Eircom to UPC and with Eircom the landline would send our mobiles a text to say the alarm was triggered and what zone was triggered too.
    Does this mean that our HKC panel has a digital dialer allready installed in it?
    Or do i need a digital dialer aswell as the RJ11 cables and double socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Can I ask if thats all I need to hook my HKC alarm back up to UPC modem?

We moved from Eircom to UPC and with Eircom the landline would send our mobiles a text to say the alarm was triggered and what zone was triggered too.
    Does this mean that our HKC panel has a digital dialer allready installed in it?
    Or do i need a digital dialer aswell as the RJ11 cables and double socket?

As mentioned on another thread, you need to get an audio dialler connected to your alarm panel.
    Your HKC Panel can communicate 2 ways, firstly to a professional monitoring centre and secondly via sms.
    UPC lines cannot handle text messaging, hence you need an audio dialler unit.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    As mentioned on another thread, you need to get an audio dialler connected to your alarm panel.
    Your HKC Panel can communicate 2 ways, firstly to a professional monitoring centre and secondly via sms.
    UPC lines cannot handle text messaging, hence you need an audio dialler unit.

Thanks for the clarity.can I ask where I can get an audio dialler unit and how much it costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks for the clarity.can I ask where I can get an audio dialler unit and how much it costs?

Check the suppliers list on top of the main home security page. You are looking for a standalone audio dialler unit, being honest it is a long time since we installed any so I am unsure of the cost.

kub wrote: »
    Check the suppliers list on top of the main home security page. You are looking for a standalone audio dialler unit, being honest it is a long time since we installed any so I am unsure of the cost.

Nice one,thanks for the help

With IP becoming more popular these forms of notifications are becoming more and more obsolete. If you can get one relativly cheap go with it. Otherwise look at an upgrade to an IP panel that can give you notifications and app control all in one.

Advertisement