Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilkenny

Options
  • 16-09-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello all

I might be moving to Kilkenny next month. I'm from overseas but currently living in Dublin. I have a few questions;

What's the city like to live in?
    What are good places to live that are walking distance to the centre, aren't scumbag central and aren't noisy from all the stag/ hens nights?
    Will a foreigner get along with the locals?
    What's a good place/ website to find people advertising rooms for rent in a sharehouse?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Poonus wrote: »
    What's the city like to live in?
    It's nice and with good amenities for a city of it's size.
    What are good places to live that are walking distance to the centre, aren't scumbag central and aren't noisy from all the stag/ hens nights?
    Lintown is a popular area for out-of-towners but there's plenty of other areas.
    Will a foreigner get along with the locals?
    Depends on the personality of the person.
    What's a good place/ website to find people advertising rooms for rent in a sharehouse?
    www.daft.ie

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

For the love of god man dont live in Lintown!! There are dozens of nicer places in Kilkenny for similar money... (Parcnagowan, Clongowan, Glenbawn and loads more)...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I would recomend Ashfield or Ashfield East on the Johnswell Road. I lived there for 3 years and found it very good. Mosly young couples/families living there. I never had any trouble there. Its only bout 20 min stroll into town from there. Also The Orchard and The Fairways are on the same road. You should keep an eye out in the Kilkenny People Newspaper Classified section - out wednesdays- for rooms. Stay away from the apartments in The Arches/Johns Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm up by the Weir/Glenbawn side and couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    For the love of god man dont live in Lintown!! There are dozens of nicer places in Kilkenny for similar money... (Parcnagowan, Clongowan, Glenbawn and loads more)...

Lived in clongowan and the apartment I had was very nice - no hassle at all and a generally lovely area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

1984baby wrote: »
    I would recomend Ashfield or Ashfield East on the Johnswell Road..

Ashfield is OK but you could get somewhere WAY closer to town than that for only slightly more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rifraff

Sky King wrote: »
    Ashfield is OK but you could get somewhere WAY closer to town than that for only slightly more money.

Clongowen is good, 10 minute walk to the centre. Nice area, good parking. well maintained houses.

Lots of apartments in the city centre at moment for rent. Try Friary street. Smack bang in the centre of town. May be a little noisey on weekends tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'd recommend Clongowen/Springfields/Parcnagowen before the Johnswell rd area. I've live in both and while the estates on the Johnswell road as pleasant enough, it was walking home that I dreaded. I hated Ballybought street and you were just as likely to meet total skangers on the Hebron road.

Waterford road side of town is where I'll stay from now on. Richview and the Weir are nice but a bit too far out for my liking. Freshford road is good too but again too far out for my liking. Riverside drive and Sycamores/Aylesbury are more convenient on that side of town.

Advertisement