Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnection fee ludicrious!

Options
  • 16-09-2011 5:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our phone line was cut off today, we hadn't noticed as the internet was still working (different I know but we assumed they'd both go), as soon as we realised the phone had been cut we paid and are being charged a 25 euro reconnection fee. This is ludicrous to the extreme, it's done remotely, takes very little time and is as far as Im concerned may as well be robbery.

The bill is generally paid off incrementally on a weekly basis too, this information was passed on to eircom and agreed with. It seems as if someone has decided to change this arrangement and go ahead and cut the line.

UPC will be getting a call I guess

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Most utility companies will charge a reconnection fee. ESB is €70 ex VAT. This is not an unusual charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think we were cut off once in the 1990s and left briefly for another service for about 6 months so not aware of this. It says nothing of this charge on the bills at least, I can see it online now that I've gone to look for it. Considering how promptly it was paid once the error was realised too it stinks of being ripped off.

How about the numerous times the connection has been down (sometimes for days or evenings on end) and we barely got any support or recompense.

The last time I ahd to deal wit them when our broadband went for over 2 weeks while they waited to send a technician who came out didnt know what was wrong (we told them precisely) and they still felt they could charge us for those weeks. The hypocrisy is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Why dont you switch provider and give eircom the finger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's been given some consideration. The maths will be done, I was hoping to come on here and be more constructive rather than rant, but I'm just surprised..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Weepsie wrote: »

UPC will be getting a call I guess
    UPC will be a lot less understanding when it comes to non-payment of bills.

They will also charge you extra if you don't pay by direct debit (which means having the complete outstanding bill amount available in your bank account) , & if your direct debit bounces they will charge you even more, as will your bank, so don't make any rash decisions.

Perhaps if you contacted the Eircom dept that arranged your payment schedule with you they could sort out the problem. As far as I am aware as long as you stick to your end of an arrangement, Eircom will also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement