Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage in New Zealand

• 16-09-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Just wondering have any of ye gone to New Zealand for the silage season. Myself and one of the friends were thinking of going out next winter for a few months but would like to know a bit more about it. Am I right that the silage starts out there around September/October and is it hard to get a job out there? We would both have to be back in feburary if we went for the cows calving, Would you get work for just the few months?? Sorry for all the stupid questions now but we were saying to each other if we dont go now we never will. For the experience as much as anything else cause we have plenty to be doing at home:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Hey guys, Just wondering have any of ye gone to New Zealand for the silage season. Myself and one of the friends were thinking of going out next winter for a few months but would like to know a bit more about it. Am I right that the silage starts out there around September/October and is it hard to get a job out there? We would both have to be back in feburary if we went for the cows calving, Would you get work for just the few months?? Sorry for all the stupid questions now but we were saying to each other if we dont go now we never will. For the experience as much as anything else cause we have plenty to be doing at home:rolleyes:

i worked on a dairy farm in nz in 1998 , if its a job on a dairy farm , your too late as calving season is more or less at an end , time to go is the end of june as calving starts on the north island in the middle of july and the begining of august in the south island , if you like scenery above all and are ok with very dull people and no social life , head for the south island , if you on the other hand perfer to be within a half an hour of anthing remotley called a town , head to the north island

as for the silage season , i imagine it begins around october , farmers in new zealand need a lot less silage than in ireland so its a much smaller deal than in ireland , they make a lot of hay over there as getting the weather is never an issue , new zealand is fine for a holiday , its great for a holiday in fact but i wouldnt rate it that high for working , wages are extremley low and they get up at an un godly hour , australia is a much better country in terms of wages and most other things , machinery work would be on a competley different scale than in new zealand , australia is a large cereal producer , new zealand grows a tiny amount of tillage , much less than ireland , its really for those who want to milk cows or herd sheep

oh and if you travel that far , you need at least six months , you need a few months to settle in and leaving too soon is not a good idea , you return home without having had your fill and end up regretting it , its a big deal going down under , you need to plan it properly

Advertisement