Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics in ucd

Options
  • 16-09-2011 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Can anybody tell me their experience of greek and/or latin as well as greek and roman civilization at ucd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Made this post on a similar topic a few weeks back:
    I did Greek&Roman Civ. last year and I'm continuing on with it this year, it's pretty interesting but you need a head for dates/periods/names etc. My semester one modules set me up nicely for sem. 2, we went back over a lot of sem.1 stuff and it was just easier to understand in general, a basic knowledge of Greco-Roman history will help you but it's not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dariusIII

cheers for relaying your experience blay. what are the lecturers,profs etc. like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I did 1 module of GRC last semester... it was Classical art and archaeology. Unless you want to study it, its a bit tedious. If you actually have a genuine interest you'll do brilliant. I hated it, because its just not my thing, but the exams are super easy to pass. did all my study the night before the exams (there were 2, a mid sem MCQ and a summer exam) and I think i came out with a C in the end. If i had put even a little bit of effort in i would have done pretty well.

Interest wise its meh unless you like it, but exam wise its pretty easy :)

Lecturers are kind and approachable. I had a lovely girl teaching us in our tutorials, never caught her name but she was very approachable and helpful. I had a habit of turning up to the tutorial on odd weeks instead of even - she just let me sign the sheet for next weeks instead of making me come back. Great bunch of lads over there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

I did Greek in first year. The 10 credit one. It is quite a bit of work and tbh I didn't like it one bit, but I'm not really one for languages (don't ask why i did it in the first place) so it may suit you.

If you have any questions, just pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

dariusIII wrote: »
    cheers for relaying your experience blay. what are the lecturers,profs etc. like?

Depends on your interests of course, I did History and Classics as a joint major for my undergrad and found they went really nicely together.

The languages are very time consuming and require an awful lot of effort (even the ones for 'beginners'). I did Latin for beginners last year as a part of the Masters in Classics the lecturer for is great and has the patience of a saint, but as I say it really does take a lot of work to get any sort of decent grade out of it but it'll be well worth it if you think that you are going to take Classics as a significant part of your degree. Didn't have any experience of the Greek but my class mates told me it was equally difficult if not more so due to you having to learn the new alphabet and what not.

The lecturers are great for the most part. The majority of them really go out of their way to be helpful and easily approachable; the tutors (mostly current PHD students) are also generally great and helpful :)

As for the head for dates posted earlier I dunno...it's handy to know the general timeframe of when something happened for example the civil wars between Pompey and Caesar in the late republic (i.e. the 40's) coming to terms with the general history and timeframes tends to happen over time as someone above also said that after doing a couple of modules you'd be surprised how much overlaps :D

Anyway hopefully I sold ya on Classics or at least gave ya an idea of what to expect to make an informed decision :) If ya've any other questions fell free to post them here or PM me what ever suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'd recommend it did it for undergraduate and had a blast. Great lecturers and great people. Had some minor problems with the languages and philosophy aspects, but got through them with a bit of work. Every other aspect I loved and as a result found it easier to study. All the modules are manageable if you put the work in. Good luck, and with a user name like Darius III enjoy the history aspect:)

Advertisement