Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Forum #1?

Options
  • 16-09-2011 7:04pm

On boards touch, when you enter a forum, the URL appears like such - touch.boards.ie/number, with After Hours being 7. I'm assuming that these numbers are determined with regards to when they were created and, if so, what is #1?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

it seems to be arts.

anyhow, the forums also show up by numbers when yer on a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

On boards touch, when you enter a forum, the URL appears like such - touch.boards.ie/number, with After Hours being 7. I'm assuming that these numbers are determined with regards to when they were created and, if so, what is #1?
    It was at one stage I'd imagine but the software has changed over the years. The first forum was Quake afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Gordon wrote: »
    It was at one stage I'd imagine but the software has changed over the years. The first forum was Quake afair.

It was indeed

it seems to be arts.

anyhow, the forums also show up by numbers when yer on a pc.

Really? I have never noticed the numbers before I started to use touch.boards! If Arts is the first then I'm guessing the numbers are determined alphabetically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Not alphabetical. 2 is Soc, 3 is Rec, 4 is Games, 5 is Tech.

Aardvark is 1505.

You can look for yourself : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1 = Arts
    Just change the number at the end of that link to see what forum is what number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You should really be asking, which forum is Forum 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Forum #0 doesn't exist. Move along nothing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Some say if you open forum -1 and forum 1 in new tabs, at the same time, you open the portal to forum zero. Whether or not that's true, I don't know, the fear of forum zero scares me.

Aren't the minus forums like that weird second playthrough of super mario world where all the koopas look like people?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Orion wrote: »
    Aardvark is 1505.

This forum actually exists :eek:

• Advertisement

As a spambot funneling tool, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really? I have never noticed the numbers before I started to use touch.boards! If Arts is the first then I'm guessing the numbers are determined alphabetically?
    The numbers are automatically generated by the database when the forum is created. The database software simply picks the next number and assigns it to the new row in the table.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_autoincrement.asp

Not very exciting at all.

Forum 1 is the Arts category.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Back before vBulletin, After Hours was forum number one (just checked the archive).

I imagine when the migration to vBulletin took place, the migration script added the categories to the database first, hence why they have the first few numbers, followed by the forums.

In vBulletin, categories are forums, just ones where you can't post.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone else read this entire thread in a Patrick McGoohan voice?

No, because I have no idea who that is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Overheal wrote: »
    No, because I have no idea who that is.

He was a regular guest on Columbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Can the forum numbers be changed? if so, can A & A change from 614 to 666, it somehow seems more appropriate...?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MrPudding wrote: »
    Can the forum numbers be changed? if so, can A & A change from 614 to 666, it somehow seems more appropriate...?

MrP

Really? 666 is a religious number!* I didn't think A&A folks would like to be associated with a religion.

*Although, many claim that 666 was actually a mistranslation or copying error in the first place. ;)

Advertisement