Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any LC's not know what they want to study in college?

• 16-09-2011 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

How do I decide what I want to do in college? :confused: Of course I've loads of ideas but have no clue as to which one I can actually see myself doing in the future!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

ME! I honestly don't like any of my subjects that much and there are no jobs in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Chuchoter wrote: »
    ME! I honestly don't like any of my subjects that much and there are no jobs in anything.
    Thought you liked chemistry and that?

Not anymore. Can't see my self doing it 30 hours a week anywho to end up working for nothing in a lab. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Same here I've no idea what I'm going to do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

jumpguy wrote: »
    Thought you liked chemistry and that?

No No! It's French and Law, Isn't it??!? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I can't believe anyone actually has a vague idea what I like and don't like, I feel so loved! :P
    I'm thinking french and law or french with film studies or European studies or English or molecular modeling. God only knows really :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

SeanMadd wrote: »
    How do I decide what I want to do in college? :confused: Of course I've loads of ideas but have no clue as to which one I can actually see myself doing in the future!

I would say most people don't really know what they want to do, or think they do without knowing whats involved in what they want.

I've been in both categories, but I think I know it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Speaking from experience of last year, the course you "want" to do will change multiple times throughout the year as you consider what the course entails, the jobs / life it offers and also how you're going to do in the leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not anymore. Can't see my self doing it 30 hours a week anywho to end up working for nothing in a lab. :(
    Liking science doesn't mean you have to work in a lab. You can use an interest in science to get in to Engineering or Healthcare for example where you wouldn't strictly speaking have to work in a lab for a pittance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

I'm repeating and I still don't know. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Honestly, hardly anyone knows what they want to do around our ages. Some people don't even know what they want to do by the time they're finished college!

My mom only found the job she loves about 5 years ago. She says it's just trial and error. :) We'll figure it out eventually! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jayzuz, the choice is up to you, but to nip this in the bud, do you really think thousands of students are now flocking to science and science-related courses to end up working for nothing (by which I guess you mean salary-wise) in a lab? There's no career where you won't start at the bottom at, unless you're very lucky or have a good connections high-up. Once you leave college, unless you're doing a professional degree like nursing, dentistry or medicine or whatever your career can be whatever you want it to be. It's up to you to decide on your CV how your degree will help you at the job you want to do. For example, a degree in Mathematics is very versatile, enabling you to work in everything from material physics to stockbroking.

There's a lot to be said for Arts degrees too (which I haven't researched much myself, so haven't much to say on). Whatever you do, make sure to do something you like and will excel at. If you're good and interested in something, you'll find work in it.

You seem a bit disillusioned with where you're going. What I'd say is, you're young and have plenty of time, don't worry. Keep working at school to keep your options open. If you don't know what course you wanna do, pick some grades and aim for them (having a goal is always important). If you still don't know what you wanna do come CAO time, taking a year out is always a great option to take, so long as you have a solid plan-of-action for it (sitting at home doing nothing for a year will be of huge detriment, rather than benefit). Perhaps you'll discover that maybe even academia just might not be your thing. Getting work experience in various different fields and attending workshops is a good idea, you have to be proactive about your career choices, it won't happen by magic!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My heart is set on Law. Now it's a choice between Corporate Law in NUIG or Law with English in NUIM. Leaning towered the Latter and hope to do the Master of Law (LL.M.) after I get the degree hoping all goes well! NUIM would be so handy 58 minutes away on the train! Now it's the points I'm focusing on has been 450 the last 2 years so hope it doesn't go up too much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do until Christmas of 6th Year, now I'm currently in Science in TCD, chose it after a long time of changing my mind and listening to advice.

I originally wanted to do English or European Studies but after realising the limited amount of jobs in these areas due to the recession, I looked elsewhere like most other LC students.

I loved studying Physics purely because my teacher was passionate about the subject and I found learning how things worked/interacted interesting. Also the trip to Space Camp in Belgium didn't hurt :)

Most Science/Maths graduates go into a variety of careers. My dad explained to me that he has seen many new graduates enter into the company he works for with Science degrees, and he's in consulting. A lot of these Science grads in businesses are earning more than some Business grads because they have better analytical/numerical skills.

Look at your interests and your strengths when choosing your CAO. Unfortunately the job market isn't great at the moment but in 5 years time it could pick up. Certainly, it doesn't hurt having a degree which increases your chance of employment, but only if you are interested in that course.

Talk to students and get their perspective, don't pick something purely because it looks interesting on paper or the person who came to talk to you was nice. Also don't give up on a course because the description is boring or one lecturer put you to sleep during an open day. I know a lot of people who dismissed a course or college because the rep wasn't interesting and are now regretting their decision.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Jayzuz, the choice is up to you, but to nip this in the bud, do you really think thousands of students are now flocking to science and science-related courses to end up working for nothing (by which I guess you mean salary-wise) in a lab? There's no career where you won't start at the bottom at, unless you're very lucky or have a good connections high-up. Once you leave college, unless you're doing a professional degree like nursing, dentistry or medicine or whatever your career can be whatever you want it to be. It's up to you to decide on your CV how your degree will help you at the job you want to do. For example, a degree in Mathematics is very versatile, enabling you to work in everything from material physics to stockbroking.

There's a lot to be said for Arts degrees too (which I haven't researched much myself, so haven't much to say on). Whatever you do, make sure to do something you like and will excel at. If you're good and interested in something, you'll find work in it.

You seem a bit disillusioned with where you're going. What I'd say is, you're young and have plenty of time, don't worry. Keep working at school to keep your options open. If you don't know what course you wanna do, pick some grades and aim for them (having a goal is always important). If you still don't know what you wanna do come CAO time, taking a year out is always a great option to take, so long as you have a solid plan-of-action for it (sitting at home doing nothing for a year will be of huge detriment, rather than benefit). Perhaps you'll discover that maybe even academia just might not be your thing. Getting work experience in various different fields and attending workshops is a good idea, you have to be proactive about your career choices, it won't happen by magic!

Best of luck!

But there will hardly be enough lab jobs for all of us will there? My science teacher has regular rants as to how useless a basic science degree is, but then again I guess basic degrees in general won't do much good anymore without a masters.

Whatever I end up deciding, I'm going to need to kind of snap out of the mood I'm in currently, which is mostly I hate school and I really don't want to be here anymore. I can't seem to get past that to try to find something I'd like to do afterwards.

Just did a qualifax quiz which told me to do all the career areas! Helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

molecular modeling.

I really liked the sound of this course and probably would be putting it down on my cao, but dropped honours maths waay before considering this course :o Shame, it sounds cool. And you don't have to worry about getting a job in a lab, it seems to be just research forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

I seem to change courses every few hours :p
    This morning it was Law in UCD and then when I got home I told my mam I was going to do Science in TCD :rolleyes: :D
    So basically, I don't have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

So how did any of you figure out what to study? Careers counselor or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

So how did any of you figure out what to study? Careers counselor or anything?

Our guidance counsellor got carted off in an ambulance so very few of us in my year chose our courses based on their advice :D

It's basically comes down to what you like. Obviously the location of the college is a big factor for some (if you can afford accommodation or not, or in my case, are you going to commute). Don't be put off by the fancy formal descriptions in the prospectus, and don't think that because one lecturer/rep from the college is boring that all lecturers in that college are boring.

If you're interesting in say French, you don't have to do pure French. There are courses like International Languages, Business with languages, European Studies, CSLL (Computer Studies, Linguistics and language), Law and languages... You could also do a moderatorship/TSM :)

Best piece of advice I can give you is to talk to the current students, go onto the forum of a college you're interested in and ask/mail students in the course you're interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

I really want to do a course that will benefit people in some fashion.. i don't think i could do anything unless it had made someone elses life even a little better. But also I know myself and I know that i need to be really comfortable in life too. (Money, money, money). So i think ill do neuroscience or something like that. I do something I love (science) help people and if i go on to do a masters and PHD hopefully be very comfy in life. Happy, happy, happy :)
    God i'm kinda selfish :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nevelle

well, i'm repeating and i still don't know, and to be honest most people in college don't actually know what they really wanna do. most people don't decide properly until they actually finish doing the exams :D

Advertisement