Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eyeshadow base

• 16-09-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm looking for a good base eye shadow to put on before I use eyeshadow. I find that after a while my eyeshadow creases. I recently bought a thing called lemon aid by benefit because it was recommended in a magazine but I dont find it any good and it wasn't cheap either.
    So just wondering if anyone can recommend something.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

lemon aid isnt a primer its used meerly to take all the colour out of your eye i.e if you have red eyelids so that the colour will be put on a strong vibrent color. They have another primer stay dont stray that would be better than lemon aid but personally I wouldnt be the biggest fan of benefit.
    Urban Decay have one called Primer potion and unlike many high street counter make up. It is resonably prived, 16 euro or there abouts and works as a primer and also removes the colour from the lids for a 'one' colour look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Splashwoman

Cheers I'll check that one out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Urban Decay's Primer Potion is by far my favourite. It's around €16 but it lasts for ages, even with daily use I get at least 6 months out of a tube. It prevents creasing and improves the colour payoff of eyeshadows. You could also try Too Faced's Shadow Insurance which works really well for some people, but I prefer the Urban Decay one.

Also if you're looking to improve the colour payoff of your eyeshadows, I recommend Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy, available here. It works really well to improve the colour of all shimmery or metallic shadows and it helps glitter to adhere to your lids rather than falling onto your cheeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I use the smashbox eyelid primer. It's like the UD, works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I use this

Stay-Dont-Stray-Duo.jpg

Have tried the Gosh, Urban Decay and Smashbox and swear by this. Only need not even a full pump but less than a full pump to cover both eyes and it stays for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 chocolate_cat

I used to use mac primer but i found one abroad and switched to that. I went on a cheap makeup binge about a month ago and picked up the catrice eyeshadow primer base thingy, it was about 3 euro and seems to be good so far. have only used it with dress down eyeshadow, so cant report on how mad colours and shimmers last but give it a go anyways.

Thanks so much for the replies. I just have to decide now which one to go with. Thanks again for your ideas. I will let ye know how I get on. I suppose its just trial and error really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I use urban decay eye primer. It's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Is there a difference between a base and a primer?

Cause I have the Gosh eye base and the Gosh eye primer and thought they were different, but are they both primers?

gosh-velvet-touch-eye-primer-baza-na-powieki-15-ml.jpg

goshbase.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

MAC Prep & Prime is really good, and it lasts forever! I used Urban Decay Primer Potion in the past but I find the MAC one much better. It really gets rid of any redness or veins on the eyelids, the colour does stand out more than it would without it and eyeshadow really lasts, doesn't crease or go patchy. It seems really expensive when you buy it (sticker shock!) but because it lasts for ages so it's well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I don't like the Urban Decay one I usually just use a neutral cream eyeshadow like http://pleasureflush.blogspot.com/2010/04/rimmel-colour-mousse-cream-eyeshadow.html and find my eyeshadow doesn't budge. Some of the reviews says it creases but I've never experienced this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Definately the Urban Decay one ... works brilliantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I either use UD's Primer Potion or a MAC Paint Pot. I like Rubenesque or Bare Study. Paint Pots aren't typically primers but I find they work really well as a base because they are so long lasting. Bare Study is a really neutral colour so you could put any eye shadow on over it.

The Primer Potion is in a really annoying tube type bottle, in my opinion anyway. That sort of puts me off because I've had to chop open the bottle to get out the remaining product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I have an old MAC concealer that I use as a base colour, as I have dark undereye shadows and the inner part of the eyelid is also a dark purple-ish colour. That alone works well as a primer, but if I'm going heavy on my eye makeup for whatever reason then I'll use UD primer potion under the concealer.

I also have a Bare Minerals eye primer, but I can only really use that with certain colours as it has a golden shimmer to it. Looks lovely for nighttime, but can be a bit much for day-to-day wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Another vote for Urban Decay primer potion. I love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Has anyone tried both stay don't stray and ud primer potion? If so what would you recommend? Is stay don't stray any good for concealers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Urban Decay Primer Potion or Elf Prime and Seal

I found lemon aid quite good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

slowmoe wrote: »
    Has anyone tried both stay don't stray and ud primer potion? If so what would you recommend? Is stay don't stray any good for concealers?

I've used both. The Benefit Stay Don't Stray definitely goes a lot further than the UD Primer Potion. I only take a little tiny bit of it, not even a full pump of it and it covers both eyes quite well. It does dry up a bit quick so you need to be a bit quick but what I do is I put it on one eye first do that, then do the second eye.

The UD one is easier to apply cos of the wand but it runs out quick on me as I find I need to pop the wand back in 3 times to cover both eyes.

I haven't used it for concealers so can't report on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Essence have just brought out an eyeshadow base if you're on a budget! Not sure of the exact price but its under €4

essenceilovestageeyesha.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

I've used both. The Benefit Stay Don't Stray definitely goes a lot further than the UD Primer Potion. I only take a little tiny bit of it, not even a full pump of it and it covers both eyes quite well. It does dry up a bit quick so you need to be a bit quick but what I do is I put it on one eye first do that, then do the second eye.

The UD one is easier to apply cos of the wand but it runs out quick on me as I find I need to pop the wand back in 3 times to cover both eyes.

I haven't used it for concealers so can't report on that.

Urban decay primer potions packaging has been changed and it comes in a squeezy tube now so no longer has the wand. I think most people are happy with the change though as there were problems getting the last of the product out in the old bottle and it's more hygienic now. I haven't used the benefit one but I would have to disagree on primer potion running out fast as I find there's more than enough on the wand for both eyes. I think you're probably using way too much.. I've seen videos saying a lot of people think they need a lot more than they do and I use the amount shown in the videos. You shouldn't be able to see or particularly feel it.. it should be a very thin layer.

I haven't used many primers but the 2 that are recommended most often are Urban Decay Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I've seen experiments with one on each eye to compare and both seem to be as good as each other. UDPP is sometimes slightly favoured by those with dry lids and TFSI is slightly favoured by those with oily lids. A cheaper option is Elf eyelid primer or if you don't want to buy online I would say try the Essence one Cupcake_crisis posted above. I have not tried it but Essence are very cheap and good so I would def say it'd be worth a try.

• Advertisement

I think i'll try out the urban decay one. Seems to be the one most people like. I'll let you know what i think of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I always thought the UD primer potion was one of the best but I never heard anything about the packaging being bad. Just saw this vid on youtube, I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-FnqcY-KX8

Hi ladies (and lads, who knows!)

Just letting you know i bought the Urban Decay one and its great. No creases. So just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bionicboob

I've tried the Urban Decay primer. Was excellent til it rolled off the fireplace and cracked!! I have Too Faced Shadow Insurance but have recently been using an ELF primer or the Essence one posted above and would recommend any of the ones I've mentioned!!

Advertisement