Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Them hens - they're not a-layin'!!

• 16-09-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've 7 hens, 4 of which are circa 35 weeks old, and 3 are circa 26 weeks.
    We never got more than 3 eggs a day, and that was rare, but now we're only getting one per day.

They're all young hens, have plenty of room to roam in an orchard, get fed layers pellets every day, fresh water, scraps of bread or veg from the kitchen.

Any ideas why the laying is so low, and how we might fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what breed are they, give them some grains and they will lay, should be able to get a bag whereever you get the layers pellets, also would something be taking the eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maxiem

What breed are they? Sme breeds are more prolific than others.
    Also, at this time of year the hens will go into winter mode as days get shorter and egg production will either stop or become very sporadic. Our conventional (ex-battery) hens sometimes continue to lay through the winter but the rest shut down for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Tbh Its that time of the year when they slow down, Or in my case the stuoid hen who hatched 3 times starts laying again, If its a hybrid hen You have you really should be getting 5 a day in the summer, pure breeds which i keep id be happy with 3 a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I've a mixed bag - a couple of rhode islands, 3 light sussex, an oprington and (I think) a plymouth rock.
    Tomorrow is Arrabawn day so I'll get some grain and see how we go ............. & I know they'll be shutting down shortly as the days draw in, so won't be expecting too much!

Thanks for the help and advice - still on the way to my first million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

would they be laying outside somewhere instaed of in their nesting box ?? have a poke around .. you might be surprised !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement