Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calves on calf-nuts

• 16-09-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've 6 fresian & fr-cross bull calves, around 7 months old. They're on after-grass and I'm giving them a bucket of calf nuts every day - they were getting 3/4 of a bucket twice a day before I put them on the after-grass.
    Any advice on when I'd take them off the calf-nuts, and if I should put them on something else over the winter?
    Planning to over-winter them and feed them with wrapped bales.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Depends on a lot of things ,how well have the done so far , are the strong /healthy/dosed ,availabity and type of grass e.t.c.
    I would keep giving some nuts 1kg/head/day
    You could feed beef nuts at this stage (a bit cheaper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Can I ask in general what stage folks would change from calf nuts to beef nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Depends on a lot of things ,how well have the done so far , are the strong /healthy/dosed ,availabity and type of grass e.t.c.
    I would keep giving some nuts 1kg/head/day

Thanks poorfarmer .....
    They're doing OK - got them in June, and they weren't the strongest animals. They're dosed and healthy - 2 of them throwing off the last marks of ringworm. My land isn't great, and the after grass wouldn't be top class. They've done well since they arrived and are starting to put on a few kgs.
    I'll go with the beef nuts when the current delivery of calfnuts is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

bbam wrote: »

On grass three months should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if you go to your local co-op and read the labels on the bags it will tell you what age the meals are suitable for, well our local co-op does

• Advertisement

Reason I ask is we start all calves on calf nuts from the day they arrive, by 8 weeks we're mixing them 50:50 beef and calf and by 12 weeks they're on beef nuts...

Was just wondering is there any reason to keep them on calf nuts longer considering there is a price difference?
    Margins are small and every € is a prisoner unless I see a major return on spending it..

Reason I ask is we start all calves on calf nuts from the day they arrive, by 8 weeks we're mixing them 50:50 beef and calf and by 12 weeks they're on beef nuts...

Was just wondering is there any reason to keep them on calf nuts longer considering there is a price difference?
    Margins are small and every € is a prisoner unless I see a major return on spending it..
    my reasoning on the whole thing is get the calf right from the start and you have a happy and healthy calf- had a neighbour used to feed calves dairy nuts:rolleyes: - we give young calves from 1 week til about 3 weeks calf crunch , to get the rumen going, then on to calf grower also coarse, for another 6 weeks and then on to weaner meal. Only use nuts in june/july when the crows are around as they love the coarse ration... thats what i do , others probably do different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

at 7 months old can you not find a cheaper ration to feed them,
    calf rations are generally higher protein hence exrtra cost also they often include toasted ingredients (for the farmers benifit!!!) at this stage of the year energy in the ration is more important as in general protein is not limiting - coarse ration will also work out a bit cheaper

My personal opinion on the cheaper rations is they are only fillers..
    I think bucket reared weaned calves need a decent protein supply all the time to continue their growth.. We've had the best results from beef nuts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

i have 10 mid april to may born friesian heifer calves. they are on good grass, dosed reguraly, out 13 wks and on 1.5kg of gain calve nuts(18% protein), i wonder should i keep them on this high protein feed or could i introduce them yo say a 14% protein feed like bull nuts?? want to keep them growing for bulling next may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

My personal opinion on the cheaper rations is they are only fillers..
    I think bucket reared weaned calves need a decent protein supply all the time to continue their growth.. We've had the best results from beef nuts..
    its the ingredients that count, the name on the bag beef nuts store nuts is just labeling ......
    regardless the calves are only going to gain 0.7 to 0.8 kg a day,
    feeding at 1.5 kg a day will a/c for about 20% of the diet so its impact overall will be limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

what spec meal would you / are ye feeding spring born replacement heifers.
    ordering some in the morning for calves on grass, no meal up till now, and will be going on to kale mid november

more than likely off the shelf from glanbia gain

dar31 wrote: »
    what spec meal would you / are ye feeding spring born replacement heifers.
    ordering some in the morning for calves on grass, no meal up till now, and will be going on to kale mid november

more than likely off the shelf from glanbia gain

16% weanling crunch, inc mz meal, minerals and yeast
    €270 bagged and delivered
    how would this compare with any one else.
    glanbia were way off, although marginally better spec product

dar31 wrote: »
    16% weanling crunch, inc mz meal, minerals and yeast
    €270 bagged and delivered
    how would this compare with any one else.
    glanbia were way off, although marginally better spec product
    will let ya know monday , meal group meeting then

price was out side of purchasing group, as tender is in the process of renewal.
    so was curious how it stood

Advertisement