Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber frame costing

Options
  • 16-09-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

got the first quote back for my planned house in tipperary, (4000square feet)
    with a very good level of insulation, erecting the timber frame, service battens and felting/battening as well as the slabbing package, well known company coming in at 186k including vat. how does that sound:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

badger81 wrote: »
    with a very good level of insulation, erecting the timber frame, service battens and felting/battening as well as the slabbing package, well known company coming in at 186k including vat. how does that sound:eek:
    so this is just for the timber frame, insulation & boards? they'd want to be standing over an extremely good air-tightness level? sounds a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

BryanF wrote: »
    so this is just for the timber frame, insulation & boards? they'd want to be standing over an extremely good air-tightness level? sounds a bit pricey

yep, air tight membrane fitted too for that money, it's the first of about 20 quotes i expect, plus quotes for other build methods too:eek:
    thought it was a little expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Badger1,

Do you want to give us more detail. That price "could" be extortionate depending on what you are getting.

I got a price of under 100k for a passive spec TF 18 months ago using non plastic insulants i.e. softboard, cellulose.

That didn't include windows or the weathering board for the outside e.g. cement panel board.

My home is 3300 sq ft

SAS

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Here is what i have been qouted for my 218m2(2248ft2) house

Frame its self 35000
    38mm thermaliner 1700
    400mm Fiberglass 235
    100mm Rockwool 1000
    125mm Rigid inslauation 3700

What is also included is the TF200 vapour Permable Membrane, stairs, all internal doors, skirting, lathes & felt, all slabs And crane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

its a 4000 sq ft house:eek: houses of that scale arent usually straightforward. id just wait for the rest of the quotes.

• Advertisement

ok i'm gonna try understand all this and make it somewhat comprehend able,

An external wall stud size of 300mm offering a u value of 0.13,
    soleplate,
    High performance breather membrane, roofing felt supplied,
    Roof tiling battens supplied and fitted
    Factory manufactured mid-floor panels sheeted with 18mm OSB

Twin wall structural timber frame to reduce thermal bridging

Factory fitted tape seal on OSB to enhance airtightness

Larger rafter size to sloped ceiling
    Factory fitted insulation to cavity of external wall structural timber frame
    Factory fitted air tight vapour control layer to external walls
    Factory fitted service battens to external walls
    Factory fitted inner layer of OSB to enhance airtightness,

supply and fir of quilt insulation to the roof and also supply and fir roof air tightness layer,

plasterboard package 12.5mm to internal walls,
    189000 incl vat

quote number two came in

high spec system with very good levels of insulation and air-tightness supplied, fitted and tested, a service cavity, engineered open web floor joists and roof completed to felt and batten stage in the region of €95,000 ex vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Yeah, the first quote sounds extortionate based on those details.

Second sounds more realistic

For reference (and as we are allowed name companies in the pricing forum) have you tried:

(a) www.Shoalwater.ie
    (b) www.Ecotimberframe.ie

I've no association with either. Heard good things about both though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ok i'm gonna try understand all this and make it somewhat comprehend able,
    An external wall stud size of 300mm offering a u value of 0.13,
    189000 incl vat
    quote number two came in

high spec system with very good levels of insulation and air-tightness supplied, fitted and tested, a service cavity, engineered open web floor joists and roof completed to felt and batten stage in the region of €95,000 ex vat

Badger,
    did you give a perfromance spec (U-value and air-tightness etc) is the second company giving you a 0.13 Uv external wall ?

BryanF wrote: »
    Badger,
    did you give a perfromance spec (U-value and air-tightness etc) is the second company giving you a 0.13 Uv external wall ?

no specs have been discussed in the second quote but i am assured that the company can offer at least the same specs as the first. the best quote so far is from the second company named above who come highly recommended by a substantial number of people and reputation is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 clannlir

Have you got an update on quotes you have received?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We built a 2100 sq ft dormer in 2005, it came with all the timber, stairs, doors, skirting, architrave, rockwool insulation, felt, plasterboard, vapour barrier and labour for 38k euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

yop wrote: »
    We built a 2100 sq ft dormer in 2005, it came with all the timber, stairs, doors, skirting, architrave, rockwool insulation, felt, plasterboard, vapour barrier and labour for 38k euro.

Did you erect it yourself for that ? What finish had you on the outside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sounds expensive, but without seeing the detail, hard to say exactly.

What does 'good level of insulation' mean, exactly ?

And a bigger issue should be what airtightness level ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement