Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Training

• 16-09-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest how much does it cost to train the average soldier in the army here and in the US?

How much does that go up by for special forces/ air force pilots etc. I know its a very general question Any info even very rough would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Jaafa wrote: »
    Just out of interest how much does it cost to train the average soldier in the army here and in the US?

How much does that go up by for special forces/ air force pilots etc. I know its a very general question Any info even very rough would be appreciated.

I was told that for a british soldier to be recruited, assessed and trained to their basic 14 week soldier standard, costs in the region of 15,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

discus wrote: »
    I was told that for a british soldier to be recruited, assessed and trained to their basic 14 week soldier standard, costs in the region of 15,000.

I was told around 80,000 for a British soldier. Though that figure may include Phase 2 and subsequent training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Jaafa wrote: »

The longer the training the more the cost. In the Uk, Infantry cost around 20k, Guardsmen 23k, Paras 37k, Royal Marines 40k.

Special Forces soldiers cost between 400k to 1 million pounds to train depending on their length of service and training undertaken so I read, not sure if thats true, it does seem a huge amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

from recall the cost of training a fast jet pilot in the RAF was about £5m - though that was in the 90's...

Pablo's figure is roughly correct for infantry.

OS119 wrote: »
    from recall the cost of training a fast jet pilot in the RAF was about £5m - though that was in the 90's...

Pablo's figure is roughly correct for infantry.

Your recall is wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/holyhead/pages/combatpilot1.shtml

Nicknamed 'The Pilot Factory' only one in 40 hopefuls make it to RAF Valley for fast jet training. They are the crème de la crème of the Force, and it takes four years of hard graft and more than £1 million to turn a raw recruit at Valley into a fast jet pilot ready for the front line.

• Advertisement

Your recall is wrong....

oh good, another 'i saw it on the internet so it must be right' merchant.

does the £1m include the four years salary?

does the £1m include the cost of buying all the equipment required to train said winged god?

does the £1m include the training, pay and pension of everyone required to operate and maintain that equipment?

does the £1m include the training costs, pay and pensions of everyone required to assess and train this prospective fast jet pilot?

does the £1m include the interest payments on the money borrowed to buy the Tucano, Hawk, and Tornado/Typhoon OCU's used to train this pilot?

OS119 wrote: »
    oh good, another 'i saw it on the internet so it must be right' merchant.

does the £1m include the four years salary?

does the £1m include the cost of buying all the equipment required to train said winged god?

does the £1m include the training, pay and pension of everyone required to operate and maintain that equipment?

does the £1m include the training costs, pay and pensions of everyone required to assess and train this prospective fast jet pilot?

does the £1m include the interest payments on the money borrowed to buy the Tucano, Hawk, and Tornado/Typhoon OCU's used to train this pilot?

I think I will take the BBC quote amount over yourself, thanks.

And by the way the thread is called, " cost of training," not cost of salary, cost of equipment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

I pulled these figures off http://www.armedforces.co.uk/raf/listings/l0015.html

Fast jet pilots are considered combat ready following Operational Conversion Unit (OCU) training and a period of post OCU training on an allocated squadron. MoD 2008 estimates.

They allocate a training cost of £3.1 million up to OCU for all aircraft types, then an additional training cost up to combat ready status:

£7.51 million for a Harrier pilot, totalling £10.61 million.

£4.04 million for a Tornado F3 pilot, totalling £7.14 million

£3.59 million for a Tornado GR4 pilot, totalling £6.69 million

£9.22 million for a Typhoon pilot, totalling £12.32 million

Quite a bit of dosh by anyones standards!!!

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0136.html

The annual ARTD budget is approximately £700m from which ARTD is required to enlist about 13,000 recruits and to train a total of about 100,000 officers and soldiers. ARTD conducts almost 1,500 different types of courses, with over 6,000 actual courses run each year. There are an average of 12,000 officers and soldiers under training at any time. Across all training phases, the average annual unit cost of training a soldier or officer is around £19,000.

Across all training phases, the average annual unit cost of training a soldier or officer is around £19,000.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0136.html

...And by the way the thread is called, " cost of training," not cost of salary, cost of equipment etc.

so when you learned to drive the cost did not include the cost of the petrol, the cost of the instructors time, the cost of servicing the car, the cost of the finance on the car, the cost of its road tax, the cost of the insurance, and the cost(s) of the test?

must have been cheap.

you didn't used to work at the Dept of Finance did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Just to clarify I do mean total cost as in wages and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

In the DF the cost of training an apprentice in 2008, when I was involved in compiling the costs, comes out at 250,000, including wages, training, equipment etc.

The cost is higher for personnel who are selected from the ranks and come in as Trainee Technicians as opposed to Apprentices, they continue at the pay level they were at when they are selected as opposed to the Apprentice wages which are fairly low

Advertisement