Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google+ dead in the water

• 16-09-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Or is it ?

I don't know a single person who uses it. I know several who registered it, but none who actually uses it.

You don't see any businesses using it either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

iMax wrote: »
    Or is it ?

I don't know a single person who uses it. I know several who registered it, but none who actually uses it.

You don't see any businesses using it either.
    ....yeah, that would be because businesses aren't allowed on it yet, and Google are actively deleting businesses masquerading as profiles.

Google+ hasn't even officially launched yet, and it's not going to be like Gmail either, in beta for years. It will have a proper launch when they're sure it's ready

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It will continue to be tumbleweed land until they let brands and businesses in.

They have launched an API which opens the door for apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I don't think its the lack of businesses on it. Facebook was popular long before brands were allowed, same with MySpace, Bebo and the others.

The problem is people don't know too many people on it. Most people are happy where they are, it seems. Most people I have talked to about it don't see the point in another Facebook-like profile to keep up to date. My G+ is basically an extension of my Twitter feed. Nobody I know in real life is on it.

If the saying that "Facebook is for people you know and Twitter is for people you wish you knew" is true, then G+ at the moment feels very like the Facebook for people I wish I knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I agree with you. The big problem any newcomer is that people need to move as groups rather than individuals.

Most of the people that are on Google+ are the innovators. To get more people across they are going to have to tap the mainstream. A good way of doing this is to have every brand adding "Add us on Google+" to their advertising and sales patter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I registered and invited people I mostly talk to on FB. Most just said they don't see the point, don't like it, don't understand it and don't want to use it who are non-technical.

Technical people seem to like it but don't see the point in staying on it when the non-technical people are on Facebook.

There really isn't that big a difference for most people. Circles aren't the killer feature many people are promoting it as IMO. I think circles are useful for people who want that sort of thing but if you want to have different groups of friends and share messages with only a select group, I imagine most people sent a text or email or something at the moment and only really use FB for things they are happy to share with everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

As long as the party is going strong on facebook there simply isn't a strong enough compeling reason to leave - likewise, I don't know anyone who has the time for another social network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Yeah, I too signed up to G+, but again, don't know anyone else on it and people do seem to be content to stay where they are, at least for the moment.

It might change somewhat when Zuckerberg brings out his new FB Profiles next week, a lot of people will be worried about the privacy issue. I found this link below tonight on the internet, it wasn't pleasant reading, and made me want to cancel my FB account straight away. However, I'm not sure that would stop B tracking me.....:mad:
    https://nikcub.appspot.com/logging-out-of-facebook-is-not-enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 saverboy

In my opnion, google+ will never beat facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Its initial user figures have been impressive but most people seem to join, see nothing's going on, then go back to facebook. I know a couple of heavy users but that's out of 40-something friends I have in my circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I wouldn't use it much but since it came out I don't really use facebook as much as I find FB too cluttered and heavy. My network isn't good and facebook just takes too long to load these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You have the early movers, they've already moved over.
    Then the followers, starting to move slowly now.
    Then the hesitants, happy with facebook until they tire of it or are nagged into moving over.
    Lastly the reactionaries, will probably never change to a big corpo and are disillusioned with facebook too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

More difficult for G+ to launch than it was for Facebook. G+ has to basically be available to everyone from the start, and unless everyone is already on there when you go to sign up then you are going to instantly leave again.

Facebook only became available to different people as it made sense for it to be available. Just on US uni, then lots of US uni's, then just US, then global. But the way it grew meant that there was already a population of your mates on there for you to chat with by the time you signed up. If your mates were not already on it then you wouldn't have bothered with Facebook either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I started off on Facebook alone, everyone was joining Bebo at the time! Eventually I started getting lots of requests off people I knew about 2 years after setting it up.

I'd say G+ will get big when more people are introduced to it, it's still new to people. Now that there isn't anymore blocks on joining more people will try it out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Google+ is class for privacy and I find it great to use and navigate around.
    Facebook is not and that's why I hope to Thor Google+ takes off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    I started off on Facebook alone, everyone was joining Bebo at the time! Eventually I started getting lots of requests off people I knew about 2 years after setting it up.

I'd say G+ will get big when more people are introduced to it, it's still new to people. Now that there isn't anymore blocks on joining more people will try it out.

Mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

LowOdour wrote: »
    Mark?

Haha! I meant out of my social area. I joined it to talk to relatives from the states but I found AIM better for that, I do enjoy FB but it's sometimes hard to keep up with the privacy changes. I like how private Google+ is and it's great that I combine my Google accounts and have most things I use all connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

OakeyDokey wrote: »

I was the very same, started a FB page about a year before bebo took off and I had one friend on it, some chick from the USA that I didnt know, then all of a sudden people made the overnight change to FB and they were like "Anto, check out this new site called facebook, it awesome......... yada yada" and I was like "Ive had facebook for years but never used it".......... nobody believed me

http://www.ohiofusion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/forever_alone.jpg

And yeah I think G+ is pretty much doomed!!!!

Advertisement