Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French help!

• 16-09-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey everyone. I've just started 5th year and I'm loving it so far. Apart from French class. I have a truly horrible teacher and I desperatley need help with this sucject. I have decided to take matters into my own hands- but I need advice. I'm doing higher level and I want at least a C1. What do you think I should do with such an awful teacher? BTW, I want to practice for my oral exam too and I know that some schools use a book- but I'm not sure what it's called. Help anyone? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You can't learn a language on your own, move teacher. I'd say go ahead if it was a theory based subject like geography or something, language you definitely need a teacher. You can't correct your own grammar mistakes you didn't know you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'd advise doing a French exchange in the summer. I wish i had done one. I'd say if you asked your teacher or some french teacher they could organise one for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hey everyone. I've just started 5th year and I'm loving it so far. Apart from French class. I have a truly horrible teacher and I desperatley need help with this sucject. I have decided to take matters into my own hands- but I need advice. I'm doing higher level and I want at least a C1. What do you think I should do with such an awful teacher? BTW, I want to practice for my oral exam too and I know that some schools use a book- but I'm not sure what it's called. Help anyone? :)
    I think Bien Dit is the book you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I went to ELC in Ennis for three weeks, some love it, some hate it.
    I was a bit down the middle grand, but not brilliant, does improve your French though.
    Just a thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Start listening to French radio it will improve your listening for the tape and also your pronunciation for the oral just google French Radio. Start learning vocab. Start with things like numbers and dates they frequently come up in the tape then progress to more difficult vocab, it will help you with all aspects of the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Thought I'd just say that I am in the same situation as you! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A___

I'd say you should definitely try reading a french book. I read a couple of the harry potter books which I knew well, so it was much easier to follow than a brand new story. As you get used to reading in french, the comprehensions become so easy you don't need to worry about them at all, and you will pick up useful vocab for the written questions as well. Its also handy to keep a dictionary beside you, or the English version of your book, in case you get stuck!:) Anyway don't give up yet, in 5th year I was barely scraping a pass in french and came out of it with an A1. It can be done! Good luck!!:D

Advertisement