Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on winter proofing shed roof

• 16-09-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭

Will try to explain this as best as I can and hopefully someone can advise me on best way to solve this.

I have a 10ft X 12ft wooden garden shed with a corrugated pvc (i think!!) roof. Problem is that while shed is completely waterproof (3 years old) normally I've had a problem last winter when temperatures dropped below minus 15 for a few nights. The problem is that where the bottom of the corrugated pvc touches the felt was a solid block of ice which slowly melted through the felt giving me a slow drip inside the shed.

My thinking is that to solve this problem I have a couple of options, as follows:

1. Take the roof off and run batons (maybe 2" x 1") under the roof -i.e creating a gap between roof and felt.

2. Take the roog off and put down marine ply between the felt and the roof.

My question is will either of these options work and which would be the easiest option(time is a big factor and I will probably have to tackle this on my own) - am also conscious that I am running out of weekends to get the job down before winter comes.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Will try to explain this as best as I can and hopefully someone can advise me on best way to solve this.

I have a 10ft X 12ft wooden garden shed with a corrugated pvc (i think!!) roof. Problem is that while shed is completely waterproof (3 years old) normally I've had a problem last winter when temperatures dropped below minus 15 for a few nights. The problem is that where the bottom of the corrugated pvc touches the felt was a solid block of ice which slowly melted through the felt giving me a slow drip inside the shed.

My thinking is that to solve this problem I have a couple of options, as follows:

1. Take the roof off and run batons (maybe 2" x 1") under the roof -i.e creating a gap between roof and felt.

2. Take the roog off and put down marine ply between the felt and the roof.

My question is will either of these options work and which would be the easiest option(time is a big factor and I will probably have to tackle this on my own) - am also conscious that I am running out of weekends to get the job down before winter comes.

Any advice appreciated

Presuming that the ice originated as condensation, the easiest option, in my opinion, would be to;
    take off the PVC sheeting
    fix battens over the felt
    fit a covering of breather membrane over the battens.

This is assuming that there is a reasonable pitch on the roof structure which would allow condensation to flow down the breather membrane and away. The other thing to consider is insulating the underside of the felt to prevent condensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

slowburner wrote: »
    Presuming that the ice originated as condensation, the easiest option, in my opinion, would be to;
    take off the PVC sheeting
    fix battens over the felt
    fit a covering of breather membrane over the battens.

This is assuming that there is a reasonable pitch on the roof structure which would allow condensation to flow down the breather membrane and away. The other thing to consider is insulating the underside of the felt to prevent condensation.

I'm assuming it must be condensation - it only happened on one side of the roof - the one that the sun doesn't shine on. Not sure what else could have caused it other than condensation.

What kind of breather membrane would be my best option?

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Any builders' merchant will carry a stock of breather membranes, they will let you know about brands.
    The principle is that water is allowed to evaporate out through the membrane but not back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I'm assuming it must be condensation - it only happened on one side of the roof - the one that the sun doesn't shine on. Not sure what else could have caused it other than condensation.

What kind of breather membrane would be my best option?

Cheers

Daltex Ultra TX is what I used on my garage,I installed it as piece of mind underneath the non drip tile effect roof cladding.
    The garage is dry as a bone with no condensation what so ever.:)

I have a full unopened spare 1.5 x 50 meter roll of it here,and am looking to offload it,as its of no use to me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

paddy147 wrote: »
    Daltex Ultra TX is what I used on my garage,I installed it as piece of mind underneath the non drip tile effect roof cladding.
    The garage is dry as a bone with no condensation what so ever.:)

I have a full unopened spare 1.5 x 50 meter roll of it here,and am looking to offload it,as its of no use to me now.

Cheers Paddy - where are you based?

• Advertisement
Advertisement