Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Aid Course for teachers

• 16-09-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Anyone know where I could do a First Aid Course. I keep saying I am going to do one as I think it is important fo teachers especially primary school teachers...

Would appreciate some diection on where best to go, Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

VEC often run them over the winter, or else try Order of Malta or St. John's ambulance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Try http://www.nightcourses.com/
    Or a lot of local VEC schools run nightcourses also. I know the school in Leixlip is running one later this month.

It's very worthwhile doing this course - teacher or not. Just make sure that the one you do is a FETAC Level 5 certification course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Birdy Mc

DWEC or your local Education office will offer courses throughout the year. Well worth attending. I did a Defibrillator course with the WSC last year at SWEC, Tallaght I.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 delboy86

hi guys,
    there seems to be lots of first aid courses in dublin but has anyone got any advice where to do one on the west coast,I live in Sligo so Sligo, Mayo,Donegal,Leitrim would be great, even Galway would be ok

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You could try these guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 poppie26

Try these guys i found their one day course excellent.....

Mod snip pm the poster if you want more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Most trainers will do nationwide courses.

I agree teachers should be up to scratch on their first aid, but don't forget the other side of the coin. Does the school have an AED, for example? And a proper first aid kit? There's a big focus on the use of AEDs now in first aid courses. But the training is no use if there isn't one on the premises or easily accessible! Though this is less of an issue with children.

Shop around for courses. First aid companies seem reluctant to advertise their prices. But most are similar enough. The occupational first aid courses are great, but they can be pricey. They're expensive to run because of the accreditation/certification costs and because they last 3 full days and usually require a second instructor. Most trainers will run cheaper CPR courses, which are accredited by the Irish Heart foundation. That course is usually about 5 hours long and is about 120 euro in most places.

The above courses are the ones that health and safety inspectors like. But if you just want one for your own education, you can always ask if your trainer runs non-accredited courses, which tend to be cheaper and often cover the same material. The difference being you get a cert from the trainer, rather than from FETAC or the Irish Heart Foundation.

Advertisement