Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a car. Looking for advice

• 16-09-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm selling a car for a friend of mine and I'm looking to try and sell it quick but think its priced a bit high. He doesn't want to bring the price down much more. Any other tips or information that I left out would be appreciated to speed up the sale. It is on adverts and carsireland too.

Cheers.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2529164

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its over priced by about 2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say the price is well over the odds too. Other than that, i'd get rid of the pic of the mangled hubcap, lose the cheap floormats, and add pics of the FSH for starters.

Edit: That keyring needs to go too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Melion wrote: »
    Its over priced by about 2k

I'll talk to him again. Think he was looking on carzone and the prices there are outrageous. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Underspecced and overpriced in my opinion.

No leather, no fogs & no alloys for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

dont bother talkin to him hit him over the head with somethin hard to bring him round to 2011! Way over priced poverty model

• Advertisement

To be fair, it looks like a potentially good car. Granted it's basic, but low mileage and FSH add significantly to value. I'd improve the ad, lower the price, and it'll sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭bridgemond

Give the car a good wash and wax and drive it somewhere nice and pretty on a sunny day for some new pics for the add.:)

Thats what I always do when selling a car, Use the same spot down by a beach for all the pics lol.
    I always park the car on grass for the pics aswell as I think it makes them look better

bridgemond wrote: »
    Give the car a good wash and wax and drive it somewhere nice and pretty on a sunny day for some new pics for the add.:)
    +1, dirty, wet door jambs is not a premium-price look!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Anan1 wrote: »
    low mileage and FSH add significantly to value.

Thats what he keeps telling me! I'll sort him out Sunday.
    Thanks for all the posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's well presented for someone looking for "a BMW" but for anyone who has done their research the spec is too low for the price asked, it's an 8 year old car which I'd say 4500-5k would be plenty. Miles are so low they look like it's not been getting enough of a run, I'd recommend sticking photos of the service history if there is one to verify it's not been mothballed for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'll talk to him again. Think he was looking on carzone and the prices there are outrageous. Cheers.

If he's looking for price guidance from carzone he needs to filter out the dealer cars. On the lefthand side of the screen click on 'Seller Type' and tick the 'private' box. There are several private 2003 318s for less than 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tbh, i'd forget carzone altogether. Donedeal is where people are going to buy second hand cars, if you're not beating prices on there, you're not going to sell imho. Obviously each car is different, but it will give the best indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What dealers and private sellers ask for on carzone doesn't reflect on the price they actually sell for. Unless he is offering a warranty with the car then pricing his similarly to dealer prices is a wast of time.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=13104574784281

Above is an example of a similar speced one 2 years younger from a dealer asking €1k more than your friend's one. That asking price is bound to have a bit of wedge in it to allow bargining and will also come with some sort of warranty which will give extra peace of mind to many buyers. It really makes the price on your friend's car just plain silly.

Remember a car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it, not what the seller thinks it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭fitzgese

I'm in the market for an E46 BMW coupe at the moment, but would consider a good saloon if I came across one. I've done a fair bit of research, and am in no rush to buy so have been looking at the market for the past couple of weeks.

First off, as other posters have said, I'd completely ignore the asking prices on Carzone. Any of the private sale ones there are way over the odds. Donedeal is a much better guide.

Although the car you're trying to sell has low mileage and a FSH, to be honest since the spec is pretty poor on it, I wouldn't even consider it unless I was getting a really good deal. Personally, I wouldn't pay €4k for it, that's not to say others might, but it really is a buyer's market at the moment, there are loads of similiar cars on Donedeal that have been advertised for a couple of months. I don't think I'd give the ad a second look unless the asking price was €4.5k or less.

So if your friend was trying to sell it quick, I'd price it at something that will grab people's attention, maybe €3800 or thereabouts. :) Again, that's probably not anywhere near the expectations your friend has as to what it'd sell for, but if he's looking for a quick sale might be worth considering changing the pricing strategy dramatically.

Advertisement