Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about my overclockers uk build was it overclocked ?

Options
  • 16-09-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey so my new build came and i have to say it performs like a beast .
    Although a little loud haha. here are my specs.

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Visionary Full Tower Case - Black

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz Quad Core Processor

Overclock: Stage 5: MAX OC OF ENTIRE SYSTEM - (CPU, RAM Graphics all OCd to maximum 24/7 Stability)

CPU Cooler: Akasa Venom CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Z68

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz C8 Memory Kit

GPU: OcUK GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

GPU 2(SLI): OcUK GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

HARD DRIVE:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache

BLU-RAY/DVD DRIVE: LG BH10LS30 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Drive

Power Supply: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200W

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Network Adapter: TP Link 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter

Ok now onto my question as you can see i paid for the system to be overclocked by them.

However i have checked on the nvidia control panel and cpu-z and it appears as though it hasn't.

I paid for everything to be overclocked .

I contacted them and they said. Quote" The overclock kicks in when the systems goes under load. Does this to save power."

Im just wondering if you guys could let me know if this is indeed possible as from what i knew overclocks couldn't be set like that.

And i would also like to know of some programs to use so that i can check for the overclocks.

Oh and for those wondering the version of the gtx 580's i got were the gainward good editions.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I believe that once a stable overclock has been found you can reenable certain enery-saving settings on some hardware which 'throttle' or decrease/increase the speeds/voltages of your cpu/ram/graphics card depending on the load.

I guess a simple check for your cpu overclock is to look at cpu-z while the system is under no load, idle basically, and then start a cpu intensive program while watching cpu-z to see if it throttles up to full OC speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Oh, and gimme your computer please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

yeah theres a Turbo or Boost mode on the i7's that will engage once the cores are loaded http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Turbo-Mode-Intel,6193.html

Also if they still have speedstep enabled It will undervolt your processor and cause it to run Much slower when its not being used for anything , Though I know this was bad news for overclocking the old intel cores perhaps it works ok on the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

run prime 95 and watch cpu-z for the cpu speed..
    And run furmark for the gpu speed

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not like you'll really need the OC anyways:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Google and download CPU-Z, and MSI Afterburner. These are CPU and GPU monitoring programs.

Google and download Prime95 also. This is a stress test for your CPU. With CPU-Z open, run Prime95, and you'll see your speed jump up to its load speed down the bottom left.

For your graphics card, with Afterburner open, run a game or something for a minute, then go back into Afterburner. With the graph, you'll see your GPU core clock, that'll show you what speed it's running at*.

* It'll also simply tell you on the left, but running a game makes sure that it's actually operating at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CrazyGamer95

Serephucus wrote: »
    Google and download CPU-Z, and MSI Afterburner. These are CPU and GPU monitoring programs.

Google and download Prime95 also. This is a stress test for your CPU. With CPU-Z open, run Prime95, and you'll see your speed jump up to its load speed down the bottom left.

For your graphics card, with Afterburner open, run a game or something for a minute, then go back into Afterburner. With the graph, you'll see your GPU core clock, that'll show you what speed it's running at*.

* It'll also simply tell you on the left, but running a game makes sure that it's actually operating at that speed.
    Hey cheers man well i ran msi afterburner and ran the unigine heaven benchmark.

When i first started up afterburner results:

Core Voltage(Mv)=1050
    Core Clock(MHz)=870
    Shader Clock(Mhz)=1740
    Memory Clock(MHz)=2010

It also stayed like that running the benchmark.

Im pretty sure this means it's overclocked.

Can you verify that the cards are overclocked by those results ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yup, standard clocks are 772/2004 (core/memory). Not exactly what I would call a "MAX OC" though. You should be able to get the card to 900 core without too much trouble. I'm under water and at 980 at the moment. Anything on the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

pretty unimpressive tbh. I got my gtx460 to 875mhz without much trouble or overvolting and its got the worlds cheapest cooler on it, a stock palit yoke.

how much was that optional OC extra?

what temps are you getting at Max load on the gpu?

what is your CPU like? as mentioned, run 'small ffts' in prime95 while running cpu-z.

it doesn't automatically stop unless you actually click 'stop all workers' and minimizes if you press the exit button so keep that in mind.

Advertisement