Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Record Label

Options
  • 16-09-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here tried to or successfully set up their own record label? I'm thinking about starting one and just looking for other people's experiences really. Even if it was just for your own band, any information would be great. I've read the stuff from FMC and IMRO.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

One thing to be very clear about up front are your own intentions - which it can be tricky to be honest with yourself about!
    1. Do you want to release your own material?
    2. .. or material for others?
    3. .. or both?
    4. Have you artists in mind?
    5. Have you initial funding?
    6. Have you a business plan?

Try not to chew of too much too soon. Remember that Richard Branson started with one artist.. he just happened to select rather well!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

That's it, I know what I want in my head. I've no business plan, yet. Does anyone have any idea of start up costs at all? I suppose I could register the name etc and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't looked but I imagine there's a lot of information on the non-Music specific aspects of starting up a business here.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Thanks Malice :)

Advertisement