Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

depression- do I have a genuine illness?

Options
  • 17-09-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi-i've recently missed a lot of time in work , all certified as I have an old back injury that has flared up. however, although my certs say 'back pain,'the doctor has me on lustral 150mg for anxiety/depression also, which work know nothing about.I feel guilty about missing work but I feel so overwhelmed at the thoughts of all I have to do and the responsibility etc.that I honestly cant cope at times..The lustral and arcoxia for pain have left me a bit zombiefied which is good as I am too sensitive I think. The last thing I want is to become all self indulgent and introspective about why I find myself in this situation but if I truly look into my conscience I can see depression is the greater part of the reason I'm off work as opposed to the pain of my injury, which is bad on its own.So, if I stay on the anti deps should I go see a psychiatrist, at times I scare myself with my thoughts, yet I seem quite jolly and happy to the outside world. Is feeling like this a justifiable reason to be absent from work? Or am I just not getting on with it? is this genuine depression or a weakness in me? i have not been diagnosed but just go to the gp. I cannot put any kind of mental health issue on my certs, its a small company.. however, I feel stuck in limbo-not better, not worse, just numb with the odd happy moment in mainly anxious days.Dont know what to do.. have two more weeks to go and am exhausted with the thought of even making my way to work, never mind having to talk to customers and smile all day.any help??

Advertisement