Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collect trailer in UK (Wales)

• 17-09-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this, so Mod's if you think it's in the wrong area please move it.

Okay, so I'm looking to have a trailer collected from near Holyhead and delivered to Dublin. Haven't a clue where to start looking for a service that would collect this for me, so any ideas among my fellow boardsies?

Ferry over and back same day myself is possible, but seems to be up around €300.

Hoping to get something cheaper!

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Not sure where to post this, so Mod's if you think it's in the wrong area please move it.

Okay, so I'm looking to have a trailer collected from near Holyhead and delivered to Dublin. Haven't a clue where to start looking for a service that would collect this for me, so any ideas among my fellow boardsies?

Ferry over and back same day myself is possible, but seems to be up around €300.

Use tesco vouchers to pay with Irish ferries. €10 is a €40 ferry voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Check with someone driving over to england and want something for the way back. Transport companies down the docks in Dublin would be a start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

What sort of a trailer??. Let me know!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Don't use Tesco much so I have no club-card tokens.

Tried a few transport companies, they seem to be around the same price as me going on a ferry!

It's a fairly standard 7x4 car trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Ok, If you can get the person who has it now to bring it to the ferry port then Stena Freight will loaded it for you - unaccompanied freight. They will load anything with a hitch.

You then collect it from the port Ireland side. Bring a Hi-Vis.

You pay by the linear metre for deck cargo space. They take plastic. Should be about 70 to 100 euro.

Phone the freight department.

I've brought in car chassis that way - stick an A- bar hitch on it and you are good to go.

Shame it wasn't Fishguard, I could have done you a deal - I may be bringing an empty flatbed that way next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

You could try a local taxi company to bring the trailer to the port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There are a few motorcycle transport companies operating between IRL and GB. I haven't used any myself so cannot recommend.

The couple I know of load the motorcycles in a truck\large van but they're likely to have a towbar - and may even welcome the extra capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Both irish Ferries and Stenaline do a 24hour minicruise fare that works out at 170-190euro. There would be a suppliment for the trailer on the way back. You can only get that fare from their call centers and ports, they don't give that fare online as in many cases it is cheaper than a one way fare. The fare is designed for people doing the same thing you are. If talking to them ask for the creditcard minicruise, there are T&C on the fare but if you go on the sailing times specified there is no problem.

I do work for one of those said ferry companies by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Just did a quick calculation (As I'm in work at the moment) on the minicruise fare.
    If you went during the week, on the slow ferry and back on the slow ferry with the car and returning with the trailer (provided its 4meters or under) it works out at 195euro. If someone is going with you add about 20euro onto that. Both ferry companies would be around the same price. You do need a credit or debit card for that fare though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thanks for the info Seanmacc. Sounds like the best option for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement