Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs & Societies

• 17-09-2011 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Looking to join a couple of clubs in UCC. just wondering what experiences people have had as members of any of these clubs, which they've enjoyed, which they would recommend etc.

In particular I'm looking into taking up a new sport (maybe American Football) to lose a little weight...? But honestly, I'm just looking for some ideas or recommendations. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

What are you interested in? That'll decide which societies you go for, because they're generally more of an intellectual pursuit then with the social side. The clubs are mostly focused on physical activities but have the social as a natural occurence of doing stuff with people.

I don't think there's an American football club, but there's rugby, GAA and soccer as the big ones along with a load of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Buceph wrote: »
    What are you interested in? That'll decide which societies you go for, because they're generally more of an intellectual pursuit then with the social side. The clubs are mostly focused on physical activities but have the social as a natural occurence of doing stuff with people.

I don't think there's an American football club, but there's rugby, GAA and soccer as the big ones along with a load of others.

There is an American football club. UCC Pirates play. They're pretty decent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thanks for the replies. I had a look through the societies list but wasn't overly bothered - anyone here part of or have experience of the 'film' and 'gaming' societies?

Other then that I just want to exercise a bit with other people for an hour or so in some beginner's class. I'm really just aiming to lose some weight and get fit, without having to join another gym or ruin my legs running on pavements. Anyone have any experience of extreme frisbee in this regard? Looks pretty well organised and thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Orizio wrote: »
    Anyone here part of or have experience of the 'film' and 'gaming' societies?.

I'm the PR Officer for WARPS so I'm gonna insert loads of praise for it here. :p Really though, I think it's a good society to join if you're into anything classified as 'nerdy' at all really. Like it says on the tin, we play RPGs and wargames but when I joined, I had no experience of those kind of things. I liked fantasy and sci-fi books and TV shows and I saw a Lord of the Rings game at their stand last year so I decided to give it a go. Despite being a complete n00b, people were really friendly and were really patient when it came to showing me how to play RPGs. Fast forward a year and I've now been to four wargaming and roleplaying conventions and am a member of the WARPS committee!

I think the best thing about WARPS is that it's not an overly large society so you can get to know most of the members within a few weeks. Also, if you go to the conventions, you get to know people better and you can come away with some crazy stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

The Physics Society usually gives out milk and cookies at the end of their events :D

If by the "gaming" society you mean Netsoc (or did you mean WAPRS?) I have some experience. They do occasional events in the Old Bar or Common Room where they set up a bunch of consoles and either let anyone play casually or have a competition. They have a fighting games competition every year and the winner gets a wrestling-style "gold" belt. They've also had Call of Duty and Halo tournaments I think and they've had casual events for stuff like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. They also do LAN parties in a net café called Webworkhouse on Winthrop street in town (between Patrick Street and the Post Office). It's a fiver for four hours on the PC and they usually get half-price pizza delivered in the middle of the event. The game most commonly played at the LAN night is Team Fortress 2 but also others depending on what people want like Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, League of Legends, Command & Conquer or Starcraft and people are free to split up into groups and play amongst themselves rather than everyone in the same thing. They also host their own Team Fortress 2 server though it's usually empty. The IP address is 85.236.101.56:27715

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Anyone ever do the rowing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm on the FilmSoc committee. We're awesome so come along to our events. Got a bunch of cool stuff planned for this year.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm on the FilmSoc committee. We're awesome so come along to our events. Got a bunch of cool stuff planned for this year.

;) Convincing, but how do your meetings typically go? I'm cool with sitting down watching a movie for a couple of hours, maybe a little debate if I care enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Anyone have any experience of extreme frisbee in this regard? Looks pretty well organised and thought out.

Yeah, I was in the club for past 3 years (just graduated). Just the job really. I started because it was cheap and good to stay fit with.
    It's called 'Ultimate' , or ultimate frisbee, but obviously it's a crap enough name.

Give it a go if it sounds like your thing. Lovely people and, as you say, well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 baby fingers breen

Don't shoot me but what's the difference btween netsoc and WARPS. Im crazy addicted to Halo 3 n i wana know which society would be better to go 2. R there many girls in either society? like i dont want 2 b d only 1 ya know what i mean??

Also i wana join a martial arts club but I dunno what 1 is best 4 practical self defence. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Possibly Rebel Girl could sticky this thread so it can be used generally for people looking for clubs and societies in 2011?

Also, a thread entitled 'Things going on in UCC' would be cool as well. :pac:
    Yeah, I was in the club for past 3 years (just graduated). Just the job really. I started because it was cheap and good to stay fit with.
    It's called 'Ultimate' , or ultimate frisbee, but obviously it's a crap enough name.

Give it a go if it sounds like your thing. Lovely people and, as you say, well organised.

Sounds good, tbh I have no great feelings towards frisbee either way but its looks the best most organised bet to get fit. Thinking of going to the beginner open session tomorrow, do people get changed in the Mardyke somewhere or arrive ready to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Don't shoot me but what's the difference btween netsoc and WARPS. Im crazy addicted to Halo 3 n i wana know which society would be better to go 2. R there many girls in either society? like i dont want 2 b d only 1 ya know what i mean??

Also i wana join a martial arts club but I dunno what 1 is best 4 practical self defence. Any recommendations?

When they say gaming, they each mean different things.

WARPS play role-playing games such as warhammer or D&D.

NetSoc play games such as Halo, Call Of Duty, Fifa, Smash Bros etc. etc.

I couldn't comment on female numbers as I finished college this year but when I was around both had girls in their ranks and are very good with new members so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

Hi lads what clubs did ye pick today. I picked a fright but I wont do half of them..I went for Rowing, Ultimate Frisbee, Handball, Snowboarding and Squash to name a few...What is the Ultimate Frisbee like?? I had a knee injury for the last year. Should I stay away from it and is it really good to get fit?? Is the training hard??

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

WARPS play games like Warhammer and Magic the Gathering and pen and paper RPGs. Games you play on tables. Netsoc play computer games. I don't know about WARPS but girls in Netsoc are pretty minimal. There was one before but she left it when she went into final year and there was none last year. Check them out at socs day tomorrow. Maybe a few will join this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

closeline wrote: »
    Anyone ever do the rowing??

Went to their club meeting at the start of the academic year a number of years ago. They trained Saturday and Sunday mornings with gym training Tuesdays and Thursday evening. Couldn't afford to stay up every weekend, if your interested id say you would really have to be fully dedicated.

I joined the American Football team when they started up. It was great, trainings were fun, good atmosphere and no 1 really knew each other so there were no cliques and most newbies were given a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Sounds good, tbh I have no great feelings towards frisbee either way but its looks the best most organised bet to get fit. Thinking of going to the beginner open session tomorrow, do people get changed in the Mardyke somewhere or arrive ready to go?

Surprisingly, love of frisbee isn't the reason people stay in the club. You just attach the same ideas as you would to a ball in other sports really.

Arriving ready to go is usually a good idea, especially at beginning when it's busy. No hassle either way really though, you can use changing rooms in Mardyke or (for the more adventurous) get changed at the astro itself.
    closeline wrote: »
    What is the Ultimate Frisbee like?? I had a knee injury for the last year. Should I stay away from it and is it really good to get fit?? Is the training hard??

It involves a lot of running, accelleration and repeatedly changing direction quite rapidly, which might have implications for your knee. The harder you train, the fitter you get. It's a nice and accessible way of staying in shape, but obviously if you don't put in effort you don't get fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

;) Convincing, but how do your meetings typically go? I'm cool with sitting down watching a movie for a couple of hours, maybe a little debate if I care enough.

I think this year, when we're showing films, we may try and get a discussion going/speaker in. Also, old bar afterwards, possibly food, not sure. We have our FilmSoc premiere night next Tuesday at 7 in the Old Bar, so you could come along and check that out. We're showing Films we've done ourselves, and then Old Bar, think there'll be pizza.

Week after, we're sceening Milk with LGBT, and week after is Ferris Bueller.

Outside of that, we make films ourselves so are accepting scripts atm,up to 21st of October, I think, and we'll be trying to make as much of them as we can during the rest of the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

It involves a lot of running, accelleration and repeatedly changing direction quite rapidly, which might have implications for your knee. The harder you train, the fitter you get. It's a nice and accessible way of staying in shape, but obviously if you don't put in effort you don't get fit.

Thats me f*cked so >.<

Unfortunately I dont think I will be able to do Ultimate Frisbee, Handball, Squash or Basketball. Wouldnt be great for the knee. Rowing should be ok though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rob_Ireland

UCC Canoe Club might be a good bet!

One of the lads who started last year is in a wheelchair and is absolutely flying at it now, so obviously you'd have no problem with dodgy knees.

Great bunch of welcoming people who know how to work hard and play hard :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement