Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was My system overclocked ?

Options
  • 17-09-2011 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey so my new build came and i have to say it performs like a beast .
    Although a little loud haha. here are my specs.

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Visionary Full Tower Case - Black

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz Quad Core Processor

Overclock: Stage 5: MAX OC OF ENTIRE SYSTEM - (CPU, RAM Graphics all OCd to maximum 24/7 Stability)

CPU Cooler: Akasa Venom CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Z68

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz C8 Memory Kit

GPU: OcUK GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

GPU 2(SLI): OcUK GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

HARD DRIVE:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache

BLU-RAY/DVD DRIVE: LG BH10LS30 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Drive

Power Supply: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200W

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Network Adapter: TP Link 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter

Ok now onto my question as you can see i paid for the system to be overclocked by them.

However i have checked on the nvidia control panel and cpu-z and it appears as though it hasn't.

I paid for everything to be overclocked .

I contacted them and they said. Quote" The overclock kicks in when the systems goes under load. Does this to save power."

Im just wondering if you guys could let me know if this is indeed possible as from what i knew overclocks couldn't be set like that.

And i would also like to know of some programs to use so that i can check for the overclocks.

Oh and for those wondering the version of the gtx 580's i got were the gainward good editions.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

The 2600k runs lower at idle alright, generally cpu-z shows it at 1600Mhz or so. There is a small free program you can use to run your cpu at load for stability testing called Prime95. Download that and run the stress test. While its running, cpu-z should display your actual CPU clock speed and hopefully show your overclock.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pay someone else to overclock your computer, you must have more money than sense :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Z68

I contacted them and they said. Quote" The overclock kicks in when the systems goes under load. Does this to save power."

Im just wondering if you guys could let me know if this is indeed possible as from what i knew overclocks couldn't be set like that.

And i would also like to know of some programs to use so that i can check for the overclocks.

Cheers.

They left Intel SpeedStep (EIST) enabled in the bios. This dynamically downclocks your processor speed and regulates the voltage when the CPU is idle. When load is applied, it will automatically clock up to the stock 3.4ghz or to the current overclock.

If you want your processor to constantly run on the overclock, you can disable EIST in the bios. You can also disable C1E while you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Pay someone else to overclock your computer, you must have more money than sense :confused:

Yeah, and they prolly used the Asus utilities that came with the mobo to clock the system too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

What did you shell out on that system? More importantly... what are your electricity bills like with the 2x 580s in SLI?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

did you buy 2 of them as you will need it.. with OverClocking...

Cant See the point in OverClocking a System.. and only get half the life that it would have without over clocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Cork24 wrote: »

Cant See the point in OverClocking a System.. and only get half the life that it would have without over clocking.

Have you ever seen an OC`d setup going up in smoke before?(I have but that was on purpose rather than hardware failure)
    I sense some urban legend here...

Before you ask currently writing this on a fully OC`d setup incl. ram, cpu, gpu with around 30% avg gain.(hell they will be obsolete before they break down due to OC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nonsence. I've a 2.8Ghz cpu watercooled at 3.8Ghz for 2 years. Overclocking with decent cooling and proper temperature managment does no harm.

Anyway, If by overclocking you reduce the lifetime expectancy of a chip from 10 years to 5 years, does it matter? It will be obsolete by then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Rubbish.
    The clock-speed has no bearing whatsoever on the life of components, all other factors remaining equal. With good cooling, there is no reason that an overclocked component should not last as long as a stock unit.

Advertisement