Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming series in the Irish Times

• 17-09-2011 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭

In case this gets missed, today's Irish Times has a feature on fairy farming, the first of three. All seems very upbeat, which makes a good change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

theroad wrote: »
    In case this gets missed, today's Irish Times has a feature on fairy farming, the first of three. All seems very upbeat, which makes a good change.
    Do the fairies have to be double tagged too:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Fintan O Fool, I suppose, talking through his academic arse.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Farmers moaning about other farmers moaning - ironic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone goin clubbin tonight:D:D:D?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone goin clubbin tonight:D:D:D?

Why not.........8 or 9 in a '96 corolla and away with us:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Let's try that again. In today's Irish Times series on farming, part 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Let's try that again. In today's Irish Times series on farming, part 2.

The cry of the poor farmer yet again, the nation must have an awful grim view of us:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The cry of the poor farmer yet again, the nation must have an awful grim view of us:rolleyes:

Everything with a pinch of salt.
    "Mary came home from her 8 hours of work to find her husband sitting at the kitchen table drinking tea". It just doesn't go as far as saying "The lazy sod does nothing all day while she earns a crust".

What else doesn't it say?

"John was up all night with 4 cows calving, he came in as the kids were getting ready for school and brought them to school"

"Luckily we don't have any creche fees, John is a full time farmer, looks after the children while Mary is at work, does his farming in the early mornings and the evenings"

"Mary earns €20,000 from an off farm job. However, the ESB, telephone, car diesel and house maintenance cocts are paid out of the farm accounts. John also grows all the vegetable for the house, provides lamb and beef for the dinner from the farm, 100% heats the house with turf from the family bog and wood from the farm. This means that Mary has no living costs and can spend all her money on herself or on the kids. Lucky Woman"

Farm income doesn't take into account some of the advantages of being a farmer - free food, fuel, flexible time, no costs of travel to work, as well as the article example which states that they live in a 400 year old family farm house (ie. No Mortgage) Articles like these fool Jackeens into thinking that their taxes fund our "5 holiday a year lifestyles".

Kathy Sheridan (the author of the article) has been accussed several times in the past of irresponsible journalism (Just do a google search for several examples) and this appears to be another one. It shows a lack of research and a failure to show the story from all sides. Her article reflects the way that she wants it to reflect as opposed to telling the whole story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well said Reilig. They say there's 'Two sides to every story', but I think there's any number of sides, depending on how you wish to protray things. All articles/programming etc fall prey to biased reporting on the part of the author/or research team.

It would be ill advised and foolish for any person to form their opinions based on reading articles and reports alone. Alot of the time you have to see and experience for yourself unfortunately.

At the end of the day, an article is usually only one person's thoughts and opinions at a particular time and place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    It would be ill advised and foolish for any person to form their opinions based on reading articles and reports alone. Alot of the time you have to see and experience for yourself unfortunately.

There will be people not from farming backgrounds who will read it and think that all farmers are useless. They will think that farmers live off grants and have to do nothing to get them. People will quote this article in city pubs and talk about how their taxes are paying our wages.

The article isn't written for farmers, its written for non-farmers and it portrays the majority farmers in a poor light when only the minority are actually this way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    There will be people not from farming backgrounds who will read it and think that all farmers are useless. They will think that farmers live off grants and have to do nothing to get them. People will quote this article in city pubs and talk about how their taxes are paying our wages.

The article isn't written for farmers, its written for non-farmers and it portrays the majority farmers in a poor light when only the minority are actually this way!!

Firstly I hope you realise I was fully agreeing with your earlier post. Well said.

Unfortunately there will always be people that take what's written in newspapers, on websites etc as gospel. It's the height of ignorance and gullibility (yes as it happens.... I was surprised too that it's actually a word:D) to believe all you hear.

Now we can appreciate how the 'celebs' feel. Laugh it off, it'I be old news and someone else tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

The final article here.

So that's it for farming in the Irish Times for another decade. It is was a fairly poor set of articles, in my opinion. She missed the point and didn't get past the stereotyped view of farming that you read in the general media, but then I've rarely found the newspapers good for supplying new information on stuff I'm interested in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LouckyOut18

so i realise this is off topic, but i was wondering if anyone has an online subscription to irishtimes.ie, i need an article desperately but have no dosh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

so i realise this is off topic, but i was wondering if anyone has an online subscription to irishtimes.ie, i need an article desperately but have no dosh

Welcome to da club, you are in the right place till next week anyway:D:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I would say you are probably in the wrong forum for the Times for ALL the reasons outlined above:)

Advertisement