Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GT TDI Golf suspension

• 17-09-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

My car is lowered on coilovers, I want to get it raised and put the suspension back to normal as the ride is close to unbearable with the Irish roads. I want to know, do I need to get special springs and shocks for the GT TDI or does the car just use the normal TDI ones? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

My car is lowered on coilovers, I want to get it raised and put the suspension back to normal as the ride is close to unbearable with the Irish roads. I want to know, do I need to get special springs and shocks for the GT TDI or does the car just use the normal TDI ones? Thanks

What engine does it have? 90/100/110/115/130 or 150 ? find out that and order the springs and shocks accordingly never mind the GT malarky.Personally speaking i would order OEM shocks and a H&R cup kit which are OEM quality springs that will leave the car sitting lower and handling better.

Incidentally what make are the coilovers? Good coilovers will be far from unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

No such thing as a GT TDI. just a ploy by dealers to sell more cars to a particular Market. You'll need to get the equivalent highline or trendline, or whatever your car is, setup if you want to go standard. It should say somewhere in your boot what your actual model is.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GaryMunster

tossy wrote: »
    What engine does it have? 90/100/110/115/130 or 150 ? find out that and order the springs and shocks accordingly never mind the GT malarky.Personally speaking i would order OEM shocks and a H&R cup kit which are OEM quality springs that will leave the car sitting lower and handling better.

Incidentally what make are the coilovers? Good coilovers will be far from unbearable.

Its, 115 version. Don't know what make the coilovers are, well it feels like the car is set up for the track than the road. Don't really care about handling, just want my spine in one piece. Thanks tho, ill look up 115 shocks and springs

markc1184 wrote: »
    No such thing as a GT TDI. just a ploy by dealers to sell more cars to a particular Market. You'll need to get the equivalent highline or trendline, or whatever your car is, setup if you want to go standard. It should say somewhere in your boot what your actual model is.

ill have a look for the number thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What model golf is it?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    What model golf is it?

Its a mark 4 01 Golf 3door GT TDI 115 if thats any good to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

a H&R cupkit is shocks and springs. i guess shane ment to say H&R lowering springs. i have the cupkit in my leon. very comfy almost the same as factory setup. about 30mm lower than the factory setup too so it looks better that the factory tractor ride hight in the mk4s.

sean1141 wrote: »
    a H&R cupkit is shocks and springs. i guess shane ment to say H&R lowering springs. i have the cupkit in my leon. very comfy almost the same as factory setup. about 30mm lower than the factory setup too so it looks better that the factory tractor ride hight in the mk4s.

You are right Sean.I would go with the above over OEM any day and it would probably be around same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

2002 saw some upgrades to the suspensiony bits for the standard cars.

Not my area of knowledge with the mark 4 but could it work upgrading some other bits and bobs while yer at it?

How much did the cupkit cost you? I have 18 inch wheels with a thin walled tyre on them also, I really think I have to have a standard suspension, I know it wont look as nice but its the price I will have to pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

thin walled/low profile tyres will transmit a huge amount of road noise and bumps through the car aswell.
    so you could find its a combination of that and the suspension causing your discomfort.

as alan said the 18s are doing half of the harm. try borrow a set of 16inch rims and try them with the coilovers. what kind of rims are they? reps will be worse than factory fitted alloys. they are so heavy and quickly eat up bushing/ball joints etc

i think the cup kit cost about 450. top mounts and bearings were extra and so would fitting
    this is how the leon sits on them
    26032011161.jpg

car is on 17s

Alan b. wrote: »
    thin walled/low profile tyres will transmit a huge amount of road noise and bumps through the car aswell.
    so you could find its a combination of that and the suspension causing your discomfort.

True, something to think about

as alan said the 18s are doing half of the harm. try borrow a set of 16inch rims and try them with the coilovers. what kind of rims are they? reps will be worse than factory fitted alloys. they are so heavy and quickly eat up bushing/ball joints etc

i think the cup kit cost about 450. top mounts and bearings were extra and so would fitting

Very nice car, that sits nicely, mine is lower again:o, I would like to get it to your height, I have genuine OZ alloys which are very nice so thats why id rather change the height than the wheels

Alan b. wrote: »

True, something to think about

Very nice car, that sits nicely, mine is lower again:o, I would like to get it to your height, I have genuine OZ alloys which are very nice so thats why id rather change the height than the wheels
    If your ever around the laois area and what to get a spin in mine give me a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

I have to agree with Sean and Alan.
    Your tyres/wheels are most likely a major cause off the poor ride.
    I drove a 320i BMW on 15's and 17's. Lovely car to drive on 15's. Rotten on 17's. Driving down on side roads hitting bumps, the car had a mind of its own.
    The owner thought the same and went back to the 15's.

I have driven a 02 golf 1.4 on 14's and 15's and there is a noticeable difference in ride comfort.

As the lads say borrow a set of smaller wheels before you start spending money on the suspension

9935452 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Sean and Alan.
    Your tyres/wheels are most likely a major cause off the poor ride.
    I drove a 320i BMW on 15's and 17's. Lovely car to drive on 15's. Rotten on 17's. Driving down on side roads hitting bumps, the car had a mind of its own.
    The owner thought the same and went back to the 15's.

I have driven a 02 golf 1.4 on 14's and 15's and there is a noticeable difference in ride comfort.

As the lads say borrow a set of smaller wheels before you start spending money on the suspension

Disagree you can have a car on 18" with decent tyres and decent coilovers and still retain a lot of comfort-i've done it.The difference between a good tyre/suspension set up and a bad one is greater than that between night and day.

Disagree you can have a car on 18" with decent tyres and decent coilovers and still retain a lot of comfort-i've done it.The difference between a good tyre/suspension set up and a bad one is greater than that between night and day.

true enough shane. good quality tyres/coilovers and wheels will be a lot better than cheap ones but if you travel a lot of bad back roads they will never match the comfort of smaller rims with a high profile tyre and standard suspension.

I think its lowered about 80mm or more and tyres are very thin, it arches if there is 3 people in the car. If I hit a pothole we all go flying out of seat. I am getting the car serviced thursday and I will ask mechanic to check if they are adjustable coil overs because I don't know.
    If your ever around the laois area and what to get a spin in mine give me a shout
    Im in Cork and won't be around Laois for a while but thats very sound of you:D

Its a mark 4 01 Golf 3door GT TDI 115 if thats any good to ya

I have a '01 Toledo 1.9tdi with standard suspension setup but my son wants to fit coilovers this weekend.
    He may have these lying around if you are interested? They are perfect.
    Same platform as your golf.

I have a '01 Toledo 1.9tdi with standard suspension setup but my son wants to fit coilovers this weekend.
    He may have these lying around if you are interested? They are perfect.
    Same platform as your golf.

Is the standard tdi suspension the same as gt/highline tdi version?

If I can get someone to confirm I would be interested, how much would you be thinking bud?

• Advertisement

Is the standard tdi suspension the same as gt/highline tdi version?

If I can get someone to confirm I would be interested, how much would you be thinking bud?

I would assume they are the same .
    Highline would only be different interior and possibly the addition of foglights etc.

I would say Buttons will take them.

Can you find out what is under your one for me?
    Might even do a trade ;)

I would assume they are the same .
    Highline would only be different interior and possibly the addition of foglights etc.

I would say Buttons will take them.

Can you find out what is under your one for me?
    Might even do a trade ;)

OK, well I am getting the car serviced thursday, I will ask my mechanic if he can tell what kind of coilovers they are, all I can tell now is that they are yellow :confused:

I will also just confirm that these coilovers and standard tdi will be a straight swap

Thanks, Gary:D

OK, well I am getting the car serviced thursday, I will ask my mechanic if he can tell what kind of coilovers they are, all I can tell now is that they are yellow :confused:

I will also just confirm that these coilovers and standard tdi will be a straight swap

Thanks, Gary:D

Your golf and the Toledo are exactly same platform.
    Suspension among other parts are identical
    straight swap.;)

Your golf and the Toledo are exactly same platform.
    Suspension among other parts are identical
    straight swap.;)

Sorry man I just checked with Golf forum and they said they are not the same!
    Thanks anyway :)

Sorry man I just checked with Golf forum and they said they are not the same!
    Thanks anyway :)

No bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

I think its lowered about 80mm or more and tyres are very thin, it arches if there is 3 people in the car. If I hit a pothole we all go flying out of seat. I am getting the car serviced thursday and I will ask mechanic to check if they are adjustable coil overs because I don't know.

All coilovers are adjustable...why not just raise the car up?...tbh an 80mm drop will leave it a fair bit more solid so your comfort is rightly gone.

McP2011 wrote: »
    All coilovers are adjustable...why not just raise the car up?...tbh an 80mm drop will leave it a fair bit more solid so your comfort is rightly gone.

They are not adjustable, Checked

They are not adjustable, Checked

then they are not coilovers.

They are lowering springs.
    The Toledo is having its coilovers done today.
    I am still convinced the old setup will fit your Mk4 Golf.
    They are here if you want to collect them and try them.

• Advertisement

80mm lowering spring if they are on factory shocks must be as rough as a bears behind!!

all mk4 based tdis have the same shock size. springs should be the same too. maybe a small bit of differance in something like an anni golf which would be lower. also some of the pd130 and all the pd150 are a bit lower, 15mm iirc, than a standard golf. i think all the petrols have the same size shock but the 1.4 and 1.6 have different springs as the engine is lighter. all the rest are the same bar the 4motion ones... this is what i remember from when i done the research when i was lowering my own car..

i sold the shocks and springs from the leon to a guy who fitted them to a golf with no problems

Just called in to my local Motor Factors there and they said the shocks/springs are identical.
    They are there if you want them.;)

80mm lowering spring if they are on factory shocks must be as rough as a bears behind!!

Sure is!!
    They are lowering springs.
    The Toledo is having its coilovers done today.
    I am still convinced the old setup will fit your Mk4 Golf.
    They are here if you want to collect them and try them.
    Just called in to my local Motor Factors there and they said the shocks/springs are identical.
    They are there if you want them.;)

Thanks Vectra for offer but I went on to Golf forum and I asked would the standard TDI Toledo fit the 115 Golf. They said it would fit fine but that they sit 25 to 30 mm higher than the standard 115 Golf suspension so it would look silly with 18's on. I really do appreciate the offer but I will wait for the correct height springs to come along.

Sure is!!

Thanks Vectra for offer but I went on to Golf forum and I asked would the standard TDI Toledo fit the 115 Golf. They said it would fit fine but that they sit 25 to 30 mm higher than the standard 115 Golf suspension so it would look silly with 18's on. I really do appreciate the offer but I will wait for the correct height springs to come along.

what golf forum was that? i dont think a 1.9tdi toledo would be 30 mm higher than a 1.9 tdi golf from the factory unless it was one of the higher spec ones i listed above. is the golf a 6 speed by any chance?

what golf forum was that? i dont think a 1.9tdi toledo would be 30 mm higher than a 1.9 tdi golf from the factory unless it was one of the higher spec ones i listed above. is the golf a 6 speed by any chance?

ya its 6 speed

golfgtiforum.co.uk

ya its 6 speed

golfgtiforum.co.uk

most of the 115bhp 6 speeds would have been uk se spec and were about 15mm lower than comfortline spec

• Advertisement
Advertisement