Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soyuz back!

Options
  • 17-09-2011 11:39am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Soyuz TMA-21 landed back on Earth this morning with 3 of the ISS crew aboard.

expedition-28-soyuz-moon.jpg?1316184397

With the Soyuz rocket cleard for flight again the next crew will launch on November 14.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Not sure about others, but the return to parachuting a capsule back to Earth feels almost like going home. It feels right in a sort of primitive way.

Or is that just me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Rubecula wrote: »
    Not sure about others, but the return to parachuting a capsule back to Earth feels almost like going home. It feels right in a sort of primitive way.

Or is that just me?
    It's just you:D :D
    But still I know what you mean, the grace of Mercury, Gemini and the majesty of a returning Apollo! truly the golden age of space exploration.
    Still I loved the glory of a returning Shuttle as it sweeped out of the sky and glided to a landing, a thing of beauty every time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

great Video of it here on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14946556

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Rubecula wrote: »

Or is that just me?

The space shuttle was just a fancy gilder on its return flight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Beeker wrote: »
    It's just you:D :D
    But still I know what you mean, the grace of Mercury, Gemini and the majesty of a returning Apollo! truly the golden age of space exploration.
    Still I loved the glory of a returning Shuttle as it sweeped out of the sky and glided to a landing, a thing of beauty every time:)

The Shuttle, a controlled crash every trip (Sorry I don't mean it) I agree some control from the crew is more romantic than a 'leap of faith' in many ways.

I think I am just of a different generation. I think the best space craft would look exactly like the one in "When Worlds Collide" The laws of physics think that that is a bad idea though.:D

My ideal space ship would be one with the reusability of the shuttle, and the majesty and power of a Saturn V. I suspect that I am just a very aged romantic at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The space shuttle was just a fancy gilder on its return flight

Mach 8. Some glider!;)

Advertisement