Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards members unite?!

• 17-09-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I had a dream last night that I was walking along and suddenly spotted a puppy farm (I know :o) I saw a heavily overweight King Charles crying and locked in a cage so I stole it and brought it back to my house. The next day I got a letter in the door from the puppy farm owners saying I was gonna seriously pay for taking their dog (that's where the dream started turning into a James Bond movie).

Anyway, it kinda got me thinking this morning. This boards forum has a great base of animal lovers who all wish that more people were educated about buying from reputable breeder, knew they should neuter their dogs, knew that sometimes a rescue dog can work out a 100 times better than a new puppy. Also, that even though ads on Donedeal are sometimes used by reputable breeders that the majority of the time they are not. I'm wondering is their any kind of action we could take that would help educate people on these issues? A lot of people I know don't know why they should neuter dogs and look at me blankly when I say "reputable breeder".

Also, I was thinking could some sort of petition be started to stop animals being advertised on free sites like Gumtree? Or maybe they could introduce some sort of process (I have no idea what!!) on Donedeal so that it's not just every Tom, Dick and Harry using it.

Maybe it's a ridiculous idea! I just thought since there's such a big group of people here that would like to see things change then maybe we could come up with a few ways to try? Any ideas welcome! Or maybe some people telling me I've had too much coffee this morning :P I'm sure there's already petitions and groups on the above issues in place so maybe it's a bad idea!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The sad fact is OP that people do not respond to this particular type of 'education' any more than they like ticket sellers, door-to-door salesmen etc. banging on their door. All you can do is keep presenting the facts and someday, when it all goes wrong maybe someone will remember something they read, or were told and wish they had listened. All you can do is keep presenting the facts and push for changes in the law and better enforcement of it. This forum is a place where in general such an approach is taken and sometimes the advice given is taken on board. People would not be so quick to accept it were they not given the opportunity to think it through for themselves and reach their own conclusions. Petitions etc. don't allow for this, they give the black and white view of those who drew it up, intelligent people like to reach their own conclusion, they may arrive at a very different one from you, but that doesn't make it an invalid opinion.

DoneDeal and Gumtree are private business and how they are run is the decision of their respective owners, no-one else. Boards is in no way affiliated with them and therefore has no business sticking it's nose into their affairs.

If you have some ideas on increasing awareness I suggest you approach them and put it to them as many others have done, some which has been taken on board and some which hasn't.
    However if what you are suggesting is some form of protest or boycott, you'll be out of here faster than you can say 'site-banned' ;).

Advertisement