Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th year project

• 17-09-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hey guys....

Just looking for some opinions on a college project I intend to do....

The idea is... I can remotely control electrical appliances in the household. Examples of this would be like turning on the heating in the house to a desired temperature when you are 20 minutes from the house.... turning on a kettle on your way home. Others would include turning off a light downstairs without the need to go downstairs.

Is there anything you would like to be able to turn on/off remotely?

Many thanks in advance !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Any chance you could include a switch that would turn off all non-essential power sockets, so all lights and appliances on standby would turn off, but the fridge/freezer/sky box would stay on?

Great way to save power when people are going to bed or going to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

my neighbor's power tools. actually I'd like to make them explode.:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've worked in the Electrical Industry for nearly 10 years as well as IT. I've actually thought this would be an interesting idea, to be able to remotely turn on and off appliances.

To do it right could turn out to be a complex project. I'm sure with a little server, someone could provide a hack with these products http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=10551 that would allow one to turn on and off, but to leave the appliance on.

With that, a mobile app could be created to do so on the move.

Advertisement