Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ard Teastas Gaeilge

• 17-09-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm a primary teacher. What is the Ard Teastas Gaeilge? How do you do it? I've written to the Dept. of Ed. , as advised by the Irish Dept. in Marino, and got no reply. Have trawled websites, but no luck. Is it obsolete? Seemingly, teachers can get an allowance if they hold it but it seems to be impossible to get any info about obtaining this qualification!! Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

Kildalton wrote: »
    I'm a primary teacher. What is the Ard Teastas Gaeilge? How do you do it? I've written to the Dept. of Ed. , as advised by the Irish Dept. in Marino, and got no reply. Have trawled websites, but no luck. Is it obsolete? Seemingly, teachers can get an allowance if they hold it but it seems to be impossible to get any info about obtaining this qualification!! Any ideas?

I think this is what your looking for...

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/TTG_CIRCULAR_EV2009_A.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

wattyy wrote: »
    the link not found !I think you should go check what your country Jiaoshi Wang due allowance!

Apologies, should work now, the f in pdf was missing...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kildalton

Thanks fearbhainne and wattyy. Looked up your suggested site but that's for 2nd level teachers, not primary! It's not what I'm looking for. Thanks again.....any other suggestions?
    Kildalton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tir na nOg

Hi, I had exactly the same problem when I tried to enquire about the Ard Teastas Gaeilge last year. I rang the Dept. of Ed and continuously got referred to different people, none of whom had any info. Eventually I was given an address to write to but never got a reply either. Hope you've had some success since you last posted about this. Would love to hear if you succeed in getting some info. Go n-éirí leat! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

I'm in the same boat. I've contacted the Department of Education about it and I got no reply. As it literally means a higher diploma in Irish, does that mean you qualify for that allowance if you have an MA in Irish - or has the allowance gone for this too with the latest budget? It's one of the biggest mysteries out there - I can't find anyone who knows anything about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

It's a very old qualification. I think it was in place for the NTs (teachers with the 2-year diploma) before there was a B.Ed. in order to bring the salary up. I think I'm right but I'm open to correction on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

I contacted Pats and Marino and the Dept of Ed about it too. The last time that they ran the course in Pats was in 2008. Marino and The Dept of Ed never got back to me :( You'd think they'd just reply and say it was for NTs if that's the case!!

It's a pity that there isn't something in place to try to increase fluency in Irish as many teachers lose their fluency/knowledge if they're moved down to younger classes for a while in non-Gaelscoileanna. It's very expensive to do courses in Irish too and it's not even counted as CPD. I'd love to do the MA in Galway, but I'd like to be able to drop out at post-grad level if I found it too tough/time consuming. I don't have much interest in doing a random Diploma as I already have a distinction in my diploma from college. Even the classes in CnaG seem to be a bit hit or miss. Again, going to the Gaeltacht is very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

It was actually the principal of my school that suggested it to me as I was interested in doing the MA and she's a native speaker. She suggested doing the Ard Teastas. Can't believe they don't just put NT beside it on the salary scales if that's the case...seems to be wasting a lot of people's time!

Advertisement