Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masking text in lecture notes

• 17-09-2011 12:24pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I'm putting together some lecture notes. I'd like to be able to blank some worked examples, so that students will work through them in the lectures. I've found a few workarounds on the net, but none are very reliable.

Ideally I want the layout of the instructor and student copies to be identical, so just doing a straight if/then won't work. I don't want to have to work out the \vspace either.

The only other way I figured to do it would be to force a page-break before and after the example, and keep it to one page. This isn't really going to work either.

I could also open the PDF afterwards in something like Acrobat and just delete the relevant section. It does remove the ability to do quick updates and corrections on the fly.

Has anyone come up with a straightforward way to do this in LaTeX?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I suppose if you're printing them for the studnets, you could if/then the answers to be printed in white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm putting together some lecture notes. I'd like to be able to blank some worked examples, so that students will work through them in the lectures.
    Change the text color to white?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah the text colour change is attractive - I would plan on giving them out by paper, but I was hoping I could distribute them electronically if I wanted to. (This would be more with a view to next year's offering of this course.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

The \phantom{} command might be useful here: it makes a blank box the same size as its typeset argument.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Clinker wrote: »
    The \phantom{} command might be useful here: it makes a blank box the same size as its typeset argument.
    Nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement