Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it hard to get an A1 in English Higher Level Leaving Cert?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nevelle

It is hard to get an A1 in English, the same as it is in any subject. You have to remember they don't just give anyone the A1 you have to really have a flair and answer the question directly

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keane-xx

I got an A1 in leaving cert English in June. I am not going to sit here and pretend like I wrote everything out of the top of my head as I didn't. I rewrote an essay I had prepared previously. However, when I saw my scripts, I had only received 78 marks for the essay. I did not know my single text inside out and I don't think that its necessary to. If you know characters and a few quotes that can fit into a lot of scenarios, you'll be fine. After all, LC english is based on your INTERPRETATION and not your knowledge. I knew one poet well.... I knew probably 15 quotes that fitted into a lot of themes etc...The same could be said for my comparative. I was lucky that she came up (Dickinson). I was prepared for Wordsworth but would not have been as confident writing about him. When I viewed my scripts, I got full marks in my poetry essay. However, I also got full marks in comprehension and 47/50 in my question B. My advice is...Don't get hung up on learning quotes, intricate parts of plot etc...Remember, comprehension and question B = 100 marks! Huge! I did not know 5 poets, 100 quotes for my comparative or single text etc but if you can manipulate a question well enough using good syntax and showing a wide range of vocabulary , you are guaranteed good marks. :D

Advertisement