Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a good idea to move to Southern California with all the talk about unemploy. ?

Options
  • 17-09-2011 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello

Im an American citizen, but ive been living in Egypt for the past 15 years, currently 24 with a BA in Advertising and PR. I am seriously thinking about moving to Southern California, but at the same time very worried that it wont work out and that i wont be able to get a reasonable career job as a friend told me that they were looking for a job for the past 5 months and came up with nothing. Any suggestions ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Overall, I think the US economy is slowly recovering but it is still pretty grim- no idea what it's like compared to Egypt though!

What filed are you in?
    How about doing some research on online websites such as monster, craigslist or whatever, and going back to the US for a holiday to check out some local opportunities before making a decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heithemezzat

Hi silja

Well i have a degree in Advertising and PR. I checked online job sites, but was told it was much better to apply once i got there, as lots of the jobs online are scams, saying its something when its really some bad sales job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Nope. Move to where the jobs are and then after a few years transfer to Southern California.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yesterday the news reported California unemployment at 12 percent, when during normal times it runs about 5. This 12 percent figure is probably understated, because when someone exhausts their unemployment benefits, they drop off the roles; i.e., they statistically do not exist. I would guess that real unemployment is probably closer to 15 percent, or three times higher than normal due to the Great Recession. Consequently, it's not a good time to look for work in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It used to be in the Good Old Days the general rule was one month of job search for every $10k of salary you're looking for.

Now? Its probably six months per $10k.

Its also considerably (this is Important) easier to get a job when you have a job so consider doing your job hunt from your current position rather than quitting and moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hi silja

Well i have a degree in Advertising and PR. I checked online job sites, but was told it was much better to apply once i got there, as lots of the jobs online are scams, saying its something when its really some bad sales job.

Just dont pay anybody anything.

Any job thats advertized is probably already gone or has so many applicants you wont stand a chance (which isnt to say you shouldn't try!).

I would suggest researching companies you'd like to work for and sending them a cover letter and resume.

Speaking from an employers point of view its a pain to have to advertise. You'd think in hard times its easier for an employer but the amount of responses to any ad can be overwhelming, together with inapplicable responses and people who are just lying about their capabilities. Its far far more preferable to find a candidate through personal contacts or resume's kept on file.

Be very cautious about California.

And best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭NiRiainRua

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its also considerably (this is Important) easier to get a job when you have a job so consider doing your job hunt from your current position rather than quitting and moving.

I agree California is not a good idea, and yes it is easier to get a job when when you have one.....but it's very rare (especially in today's economy) for an employer to consider employing someone who has to relocate from another Country.
    The big cities in the East and South are your best bet, plus Seattle area if you're in computer science. Do you speak Arabic? Languages are an advantage. Here in Florida, Spanish is just about mandatory! :)

Advertisement