Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feelings towards irish

Options
  • 17-09-2011 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

How are the Aussies feeling towards the Irish after todays game :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Who cares? They can suck it up for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Gutted. But that was a fully deserved win. Nice display of digging deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

In Melbourne no one knew we were playing them AFL or nothing in Victoria.

This is true. But the news has a lot to say on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Rugby Union really isn't all that big down here. In Melbourne lots of people wouldn't have even been aware of the game being on. Too engrossed in the AFL playoffs to care. On the East Coast, Union is bigger but still plays a massive second fiddle to Rugby League. The Rugby World Cup really isn't as big down here as it is in Ireland. Only 17 games are being shown Free to Air, with 8 of them being knockout games, and some of these games aren't even shown live, but rather delayed by a few hours. The competition means more to the people of Ireland than it does to the people of Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yeah I knew it was behind league and AFL but I presumed since it was the world cup that it would be followed down their and with the Aussie hate to lose attitude that their may have been some annoyance, But hey I'm happy it wont affect my work prospects in two weeks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was at the AFL which was on at the same time and no one gave a damn. It's local team before the national sides in Perth so Eagles >>>>>>>>>> Wallabies.

Best way imo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I was at the AFL which was on at the same time and no one gave a damn. It's local team before the national sides in Perth so Eagles >>>>>>>>>> Wallabies.

Best way imo

Do please explain why?

04072511 wrote: »
    Do please explain why?

I prefer local pride to false nationalism.

I find that people here get behind their local team every week of the year and the national team is a second thought for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stanley 2

great if we had lost we would probally have said we were so ingrosed in the all ireland final we didnt know the match was on great ploy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I prefer local pride to false nationalism.

I find that people here get behind their local team every week of the year and the national team is a second thought for the most part.

Considering Channel 9 (Sydney) showed the NRL match over Australia in the World cup, you seemed to hit the nail on the head.

I work with about 30 in my group, most (bar 3) didn't watch it, all the st george supporters (4 of them) said they would rather watch 'the big game' (broncos dragons)

I find this attitude a bit disappointing in Australia. For me it is always Ireland over anything else. The pride I get when following the Irish football team, Irish rugby team, Irish athletes, Irish Olympians, Harrington etc etc far outweights IMO any local competition where it is merely Irish versus Irish such as GAA, League of Ireland, Magners League (or Pro 12 or whatever it has been changed to), AIL etc. Don't get me wrong I enjoy local events aswell, but I always put country first.

Nothing beats seeing your country excel on the world stage. I guess I'm not too bothered about local pride. I see us all as Irish.

But each to their own I guess.

I find this attitude a bit disappointing in Australia. For me it is always Ireland over anything else. The pride I get when following the Irish football team, Irish rugby team, Irish athletes, Irish Olympians, Harrington etc etc far outweights IMO any local competition where it is merely Irish versus Irish such as GAA, League of Ireland, Magners League (or Pro 12 or whatever it has been changed to), AIL etc. Don't get me wrong I enjoy local events aswell, but I always put country first.

Nothing beats seeing your country excel on the world stage. I guess I'm not too bothered about local pride. I see us all as Irish.

But each to their own I guess.

I'm the exact opposite. For example, I'd much rather Shelbourne do well than Ireland, or West Coast than Australia.

The infrequency of international competition (international football is a horrible inconvenience during the club season for example) and the bandwagoning associated with it are probably the reasons why.

I'm the exact opposite. For example, I'd much rather Shelbourne do well than Ireland, or West Coast than Australia.

The infrequency of international competition (international football is a horrible inconvenience during the club season for example) and the bandwagoning associated with it are probably the reasons why.

With regards the infrequency I tend to find that the thing that makes international competition so special. The fact it doesn't happen so often. But with regards the bandwaggoning I hear ya. For example, I'm an avid follower of Irish athletics, and have travelled to Barcelona last year and Daegu this year to support our athletes, yet cannot for the life of me get any tickets for the Olympics, because of event junkies and celebrities taking them all up. But let's be fair, bandwaggoning is part of every sport. Make no mistake, if West Coast were languishing at the bottom of the table you'd be seeing far more empty seats. Same with Munster, same with Leinster, same with anybody.

I just think people should get behind their country when they are competing on the world stage. I was honestly disappointed by the lack of interest in Melbourne towards their own national team.

With regards the infrequency I tend to find that the thing that makes international competition so special. The fact it doesn't happen so often. But with regards the bandwaggoning I hear ya. For example, I'm an avid follower of Irish athletics, and have travelled to Barcelona last year and Daegu this year to support our athletes, yet cannot for the life of me get any tickets for the Olympics, because of event junkies and celebrities taking them all up. But let's be fair, bandwaggoning is part of every sport. Make no mistake, if West Coast were languishing at the bottom of the table you'd be seeing far more empty seats. Same with Munster, same with Leinster, same with anybody.

Oh believe me I know all about that one, sure we finished last in 2010 and tickets couldn't be given away.

I prefer something that I can get behind week in, week out and I love the consistency of it.
    I just think people should get behind their country when they are competing on the world stage. I was honestly disappointed by the lack of interest in Melbourne towards their own national team.

I understand what you're saying. I guess with football my first and foremost sport, the constant failure to qualify for international tournaments and the current brand of the game being played are big factors in me not particularly caring how things go. Rugby might be different considering Ireland get to play in World Cups and what not.

As for the Aussies, I definitely think there's far more local pride than national and the likes of the Wallabies are sometimes more an inconvenience than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Was talking to a few Aussies and they are hurting after it but fully credit the Irish for a strong win. Looks like they were shown up for experience and leadership.

Anyway the win has been massively popular in new Zealand not only because the Aussies got stuffed but from a neutral point of view but the whole complexion of the tournament has changed for the knockout stages and people weren't anticipating that at all, even after the Wales match last week. We are heroes in NZ now. The excitement has definitely upped a notch. Roll on next weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    Considering Channel 9 (Sydney) showed the NRL match over Australia in the World cup, you seemed to hit the nail on the head.
    That was down to a contractural obligation they have to show the NRL i'd imagine.
    I don't understand this at all. How are the two related to each other.

I wanted Ireland to do well on Saturday, and I also wanted to see Dublin lift the Sam on sunday. Neither affected the other one.

If I had to pick only one I'd pick dublin to win (should be obvious why), but I don't think one can take away from the other.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all. How are the two related to each other.

West Coast/Carlton was on at the same time as Ireland/Australia on Saturday.

My point was based on preferences if there was a clash, as in I'd choose club over country any day and I think most Aussies would do the same.

It might be different in WA, but around me the aussies were taking the RWC very seriously. A bigger crowd out than for league games.

I'm not certain, but i imagine the reason the West Coast/Carlton game was shown live over the RWC was due to a contract that they have in place with channel 9

It might be different in WA, but around me the aussies were taking the RWC very seriously. A bigger crowd out than for league games.

I'm not certain, but i imagine the reason the West Coast/Carlton game was shown live over the RWC was due to a contract that they have in place with channel 9

It wasn't shown live over the rugby. The footy was on Channel 10 (I think, I was at the game so didn't watch it on tv) and the rugby was on Fox. I don't think 9 showed anything, but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement

Maybe I have the channel numbers wrong, but the point is the same. There's an agreement between various sports bodies, and the TV channels that certain sports events remain on free to air TV and are shown live. There's a contract in place to show the league live.

I think its crazy that none of the other channels picked up the rugby, maybe Fox paid to be exclusive. But its kinda bad it wasn't on free to air

West Coast/Carlton was on at the same time as Ireland/Australia on Saturday.

My point was based on preferences if there was a clash, as in I'd choose club over country any day and I think most Aussies would do the same.

Aren't you Irish? :confused:

Born in Perth, grew up in Ireland, now live in Perth again so a bit of both.

Are you implying though that if someone is Irish they should automatically prefer the rugby national team over a club side they are a member of and watch week in, week out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Maybe I have the channel numbers wrong, but the point is the same. There's an agreement between various sports bodies, and the TV channels that certain sports events remain on free to air TV and are shown live. There's a contract in place to show the league live.

I think its crazy that none of the other channels picked up the rugby, maybe Fox paid to be exclusive. But its kinda bad it wasn't on free to air

I was shocked when I found out it was not on free to air TV. I believe international competitions of this stature should be available for all to see. Failing that you would think they would at least show their own countries games live!

Mod Stop trolling

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I was shocked when I found out it was not on free to air TV. I believe international competitions of this stature should be available for all to see. Failing that you would think they would at least show their own countries games live!

It is on FTA. I can't comment on WA, but in Vic all Australia's games are shown live on Channel 9. Outside of the Wallabies though you'll struggle to find many games on FTA live. Most are delayed if shown at all.

Born in Perth, grew up in Ireland, now live in Perth again so a bit of both.

Fair enough.
    Are you implying though that if someone is Irish they should automatically prefer the rugby national team over a club side they are a member of and watch week in, week out?

I'd find it a bit odd if an Irish person, who moved over here not long ago, would rather pick a foreign local team over his/her own country, yes. But again, this is just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right. Obviously you have a much bigger connection to Perth so that's different.

And I'm not trolling. It's not like this thread has much of a point anyway.

Fair enough.
    I'd find it a bit odd if an Irish person, who moved over here not long ago, would rather pick a foreign local team over his/her own country, yes. But again, this is just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right. Obviously you have a much bigger connection to Perth so that's different.
    He's Australian ya know
    And I'm not trolling. It's not like this thread has much of a point anyway.
    You don't get to decide this.

I for one love seeing the Irish Rugby Team. I love the fact all four provinces combine to assemble it.

I would follow the IRFU side above all other matchs, I have seen the Irish Team play live more times than I have seen any other team. I recall the full field length run try in RWC 91 that almost gave us a victory over the Aussies. (I think I hugged the crap out of some ol one beside me) I also recall the try that Micheal Lynagh scored because or left wing was open the whole match. That sent us out and made me drink half the Deer Park Pub dry to remove the pain.

I got to follow the Irish Team every year in the 5/6 nations so in a way its regular enough to see what Xavi is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

KingdomYid wrote:

Channel 9 have the FTA rights but they choose not to show games live. They only showed the opening game live in Melbourne (NZ v Tonga) and the Ireland v Aus game after public pressure, a twitter campaign and abuse in the media! They reckon they don't get audience to justify it but I can't believe it wouldn't get better figures than the Friends reruns they planned to show instead.

Obviously AFL totally dominates in Melbourne, that's fair enough, I am an AFL fan myself but the strange thing here is that there are so many sports teams and competition for supporters is so strong that fans of one code often seem to feel threatened by others. I know people who only support an AFL team, say it's the best sport in world and refuse to support any other code. Same with NRL/soccer. Most GAA/Soccer/Rugby fans at home would still shout for the national team in other codes but I don't think that happens as much here.

Advertisement