Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Audi A5 saloon or a Jaguar XF

• 17-09-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

As this is a very active thread I'm hoping posters may be able to help me source one of 2 cars i'm interested in at the moment. I've been all over donedeal, autotrader and carzone for the last couple of months and although there are some available, the prices are unrealistic and therefore still for sale months on.

On that note, I'm hoping someone knows a local garage or someone looking to sell one the Audi A5 saloon or the Jaguar XF, diesel, 2008. greatly appreciate any pm's. thx.

To backup my statement on "prices are unrealistic", the cost of a new 2.0 A5 or 2.2 XF is €44/46. re the jag's, a 08 and a 10 seem to carry the same resale value with 29k for a 08 to 32k for a 10 been about the price. Good value for a 10 but sadly out of my budget :( as always, audi retain the value quiet well with a 08 averaging about 30k.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is no 08 A5 saloon and even if you mean the coupe, you wont get a 2.0 diesel in 08 either. The early diesels were 2.7 front drive or 3.0 quattro in the coupe.
    You would be looking a 09 for a 2.0 diesel coupe and later again for a sportback(saloon).

Your idea of a 2010 XF for. 32k is dreaming too imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 350

low mileage, 2008 XF's don't even go for €32K.

And, I have to agree with mickdw, A5's didn't have a 2.0L engine in 2008 or come in a saloon. I have one of the 1st A5 saloons and thats a 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

There's a financial and confidence crisis out there in case no one has heard. The banks cant or wont lend a penny to anyone, the car manufacturers seem to have their own banks lending for new sales...
    Im very surprised that used cars are even saleable at all frankly at those high prices. Id want 35% minimum off for a non mainstream car one year old. Residual VRT in this country is or should be worthless thus allowing export to the UK if unsold. I think that is the case with Mercs as someone said here on Boards, as a car dealers entire stock was exported to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Thanks lads. Just to confirm though, I had a wanted ad in the car mags over the last couple off months and was offered a 10 in kildare (gold) at 32k with 79k miles, a 10 in dublin (black) with 54k miles for 34500 and 34950 in Galway (black) for one (cant recall the mileage). Saying that,I did'nt buy any so you could idea be right that they dont sell for that money.
    350 wrote: »
    low mileage, 2008 XF's don't even go for €32K.
    but who in there right minds would pay that sort of money for a 2008 when you can get the new model with the more effiecent 2.2 diesel engine, €150 road tax in place of €1050.. As I said, a 10 at 32K seems about right, you couold'nt consider paying more if you get a brand new one for 12K more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

lomb wrote: »
    There's a financial and confidence crisis out there in case no one has heard. The banks cant or wont lend a penny to anyone, the car manufacturers seem to have their own banks lending for new sales...
    Im very surprised that used cars are even saleable at all frankly at those high prices. Id want 35% minimum off for a non mainstream car one year old. Residual VRT in this country is or should be worthless thus allowing export to the UK if unsold. I think that is the case with Mercs as someone said here on Boards, as a car dealers entire stock was exported to the UK.

Jesus that's such a load of horse ****e. 35% off me hole.

• Advertisement

I think you need to go out and try to buy something. Everything is on the floor until you actually go look for something. Lots of crap going around talking about auctions giving cars away etc. Its all crap.
    OP, its kinda hard to take your pricing seriously when your original post referred to cars that didnt exactly exist at the age you referred to.

mickdw wrote: »
    OP, its kinda hard to take your pricing seriously when your original post referred to cars that didnt exactly exist at the age you referred to.

thanks for all the useful information mickdw on the audi a5. your correct, the saloon was'nt available until 09. when i said they average 30K I was going on the advertised one on carzone but thats a petrol, my bad:( from the uk, its about ~30k but that varies too depending on mileage and spec..

there's no way for me to prove my pricing, if you think its low, then thats your opinion (i'm not going to fight it out with you), i think its mad money on a whats almost a 4 year old car.

I think you need to go out and try to buy something. Everything is on the floor until you actually go look for something. Lots of crap going around talking about auctions giving cars away etc. Its all crap.

Agreed.

Agreed.
    Disagree:D
    A recent post on the TT UK forum suggests a 10 TTRS s tronic with satnav and full leather to be 24500 trade cash in the UK. New it lists at 38k, even with a 2 k discount thats 36,so a fair discount. Of course the options are what causes some of the loss. No one is going to suffer large losses later in life when the car is worth little. Its the guys buying new that take the hit.
    The dealers must be going bust as I see nothing newish moving at good prices unless its a diesel of some kind with low tax or a small petrol.

What is the Irish price of a new TTRS and what would you have that on the road here for? Im not saying you are wrong. That is an expensive rare car and will suffer a fair bit but even so, the Irish price after vrt might not be such a big percentage drop.
    You cannot base your argument on a single case either as we dont know the history here.
    I could probably show you any model with a mad spec that will drop silly amounts of cash.

• Advertisement

Apologies its a TTS not RS with s tronic coupe with satnav and leather upgrades, thats 35600 over there + another 2k in options say. So just under 38stg, and a year later 24500 offered. Obviously the dealer will mark this up to 28 and hel probably get it.
    Over here the same TTS with s tronic and the options is around 66350+ say another 3k in options, so 69.5k.
    VRT over here to bring the 10 TTS is 13500 euros.

Cars are sitting on forecourts ,and no doubt they hold out for top money and during the boom someone would offer it so they could. Now if there are no takers then they can carry on looking for whatever they want but at some point they are going to go bust no? My local luxury car dealer who has Ferraris, M6s, LS600s doesnt seem to have sold a thing in a year frankly. Im not sure how hes still there...

I agree that many dealers are holding stock longterm that appear to be losing money and it would seem wise to sell now at whatever price but then again Im not in the trade and perhaps they are holding out for customer who will give them what they ask.

One mercedes dealer I know had a 07 Cls 320 cdi sitting on the forecourt since early 08 until quite recently. About 25k had been knocked off the price in that time but it was always about 7.5k overpriced. madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I agree that many dealers are holding stock longterm that appear to be losing money and it would seem wise to sell now at whatever price but then again Im not in the trade and perhaps they are holding out for customer who will give them what they ask.

One mercedes dealer I know had a 07 Cls 320 cdi sitting on the forecourt since early 08 until quite recently. About 25k had been knocked off the price in that time but it was always about 7.5k overpriced. madness.

Sounds like some properties I've been watching;)...
    Vendors expectations are sometimes one step behind real market forces!

Personally I wouldn't bother with an A5 unless it was Quattro with at least 170bhp. The XF is a nice bus but the new facelift is a big improvement and the 2.2 engine will make em more common effecting residuals - so they should soon be a better bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If i was after an XF I'd go to the UK. Far more of them over there

pburns wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't bother with an A5 unless it was Quattro with at least 170bhp. The XF is a nice bus but the new facelift is a big improvement and the 2.2 engine will make em more common effecting residuals - so they should soon be a better bargain.

Thanks pburns. I tend to agree on the quattro but its way over budget. I'm afriad that this option is probably out. On the XF, I agree that the facelift and the 2.2 engine will be a big pull to new buyers but it'll be another 2 years before its within budget and it'll be a very nice buy then too (probably as popular as the 520 now). With the current 2.7 and 3.0 diesel options, I had assumed that these models would be available at a more reasonable price since the cost of ownership is high and the new model is much cheaper; hence the reason for the initial post :)
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If i was after an XF I'd go to the UK. Far more of them over there

Thanks Lex, I 've seen a couple alright but the big emissions means 10k+ vrt so it prices them up. I've only got autotrader for uk searches. Any recommendations on different sites / mags ?

If you want a Jag why not get the ultimate? Pick up a 400bhp XJR 2001 for around 5k. They are the type of car that arent rallied and have money no object servicing so should be in as new shape to boot.
    You know you want to;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I see JC gives the XF 2.2d a bit of a roasting in the Times today. I don't always (often) agree with him but on paper the 5 series does seem to be superior and I'd say the 2.0d BMW is a far better engine than the hand-me-down in the Jag.
    If you want a Jag why not get the ultimate? Pick up a 400bhp XJR 2001 for around 5k. They are the type of car that arent rallied and have money no object servicing so should be in as new shape to boot.
    You know you want to;)

I don't think that's what the OP wants. Why does every 'what car?' thread eventually descend into someone recommending some old smoker that will cost a fortune in tax and fuel and be virtually saleproof when the time comes to move on? There's a place for these cars but only amongst a group of dedicated, low mileage drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thanks Lex, I 've seen a couple alright but the big emissions means 10k+ vrt so it prices them up. I've only got autotrader for uk searches. Any recommendations on different sites / mags ?

would probably use autotrader myself if I was looking

Advertisement