Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stout kit - few questions

Options
  • 17-09-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

I went into the local home brew shop in rathmines. Only on my second brew and want to do something different, want to do a stout so picked up the muntons kit. However, I want to add in something extra e.g vanilla pods, orange rind(?) or maybe even some coffee beans.

When should I add one of these components in and for how long? I'm assuming while it's fermenting but at what stage? before I add the yeast?

Any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Coffee and vanilla works very well in stouts, you can add the a the initial fermentation has died down. You can cold steep the coffee and added it , the vanilla you can open it up and added it directly or steep it in a little vodka to extract flavor and kill of any bug present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Thanks for the advice, it's in the fermentor at the moment. Added a table spoon of vanilla essence before I added the yeast as I'd nothing else around. May add a coffee bean or two to each bottle when it's time. Next brew will try the methods you mentioned :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You could throw in some oak chips as well to give a different flavour to it.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_34&products_id=284

Advertisement