Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Revision Books

Options
  • 17-09-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, Guys.

Can you give me your opinion on the best leaving cert revision books or notes for each subject. These are the subjects I do:

Maths (H)
    Irish (O)
    English (H)
    German (H)
    Physics (H)
    Chemistry (H)
    Accounting (H)
    Maths Applied (H)

I already have English Key Notes 2013 and Chemistry Revise Wise. Please give me your opinion on anything else I should consider. I am finding all subjects ok except Irish. I do not understand anything in Irish at all. I would really apreciate if you could recommend me some vocab books for Irish. I am currently in 5th Year so I have a lot of time. I am hoping to get over 550 points and apply for Medicine or Engineering. Any tips for HPAT would be great too.

Thanks. :)

Also does any one know how much points you get for Maths Applied. Is it 100 points, the same as every subject or less because it is an extra subject.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I find the Key Notes for 2012 (as I am in Leaving Cert) brilliant! Perhaps try the Revise Wise books too... I know they weren't great back in our JC days but I got one for biology and I think it brill! Its got lots of diagrams in colour and everything laid out much better than before therefore it might help with your other subjects :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rashmaster3000

If you are in 5th year now, I know it will be more expensive, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea picking up both the revise wise and less stress more success. As reading over the same book for 2 years gets boring, having two could make it a little more exciting :P

I dont know about your Maths Applied question though. I do know that you get an extra 25 points for sitting standard Higher level maths, so it would only make sense if the same applied to maths applied, but i am unsure about that, your best bet would be to ask your math teacher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Thanks for the tips. I don't think I could buy every book but I'll try to by most of them. I'm really bad at taking notes so the revision books help a lot. In Junior Cert I bought about 5 and got A's in all of them except English because the Revise Wise English only gives you tips. I got only 1 D, and that was for English which I am really disappointed. I know now that it was because I didn't learn any notes or poems. This year I will learn all the notes in English Key Notes and hope for the best. I am really happy that I got 5 A's in Junior Cert although it isn't as good as the 2 people who got 10's and 1 person who got 9 A's in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If I'm honest last year and this year so far I got no use out of revision guides. I made superb notes (I'm modest me) for all my subjects last year and I'm so glad I did. Its so fast revising.

If you can find them, the essentials unfolded are the ones to buy. They're the best and you can bring them on the bus to study.

Alright, I guess everyone is recommending making notes. I asked one of the people who got 10 A's and she said she just made her own notes and revised over them. I will use the existing Revise Wise books that I have only for getting information. Its good that it is only the start of the year. I have lots of time.

Any tips for Maths though, you wouldn't able to write notes for it.

Also I've heard of the Essential Unfolded. They are like a fold-up page that is divided into chapters and contains all the key terms. I might consider buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

For Chemistry and Physics I used Exam Edge. They go through exam questions by topic and they change the figures in questions that require calculations so you can work on the method. I found them very useful, much better than ReviseWise (Chem and Physics RW were useless in my opinion). I'm proud to say Exam Edge got me my first A1s ever in both subjects, and that was in the actual LC.

Do they give the answers as well in Exam Edge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rashmaster3000

To improve your English you should just read books, and of course practice writing! But reading will help you an awful lot. The other paper,you just need to know all your poems and texts, and you should get good notes in class for them.

In terms of maths, repetition is the best way. Just do exam questions over and over till you can do math in your sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Do they give the answers as well in Exam Edge?

They do for everything except calculations. There are definitions and it tells you what the Marking Scheme of that year accepted or specific words that were required in the answer.

For the calculations it gives a step-by-step process to working out the answer with figures, so yes you get an answer. I found it really good for covering the answer, doing the questions, then if I got stuck I'd look at the next step and try and carry on myself.

They use previous exam questions but when it comes to calculations they change the figures, e.g: it might be a titration Q from 2005 with 100cm^3 of 0.1M acid but in ExamEdge they'll say 250cm^3 of 0.05M acid so you can do the Exam Edge question and actual LC question, just to make sure you know the method, regardless of numbers. Hope that makes sense

Advertisement