Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a cable exist that I can use my Nokia handsfree kit with my Samsung Galaxy S?

Options
  • 17-09-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Or are they totally incompatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you mean 'is there an adapter' to allow me to use a Nokia headset with a Samsung Galaxy S?

No.

A Bluetooth headset is the answer if you want portability between different manufacturers, Jabra are among the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If your nokia kit isnt to old, it should have bluetooth, but to charge the phone, you will need to buy a separate cigarette charger

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi all,

The car kit doesn't have bluetooth - it's this one here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Nokia-MBC-15S-Car-Holder-6230i-6610-6610i-/170577331166

I am wondering if there is either an adaptor to fit this Nokia car kit to hold my Samsung Galaxy S or a cable type thing.

I want to see if I can use the Nokia Car kit and the speakers of the car for my SGS

Maybe it's not possible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When the Nokia 6310i mobile was introduced, Nokia announced that it would be the last phone that would use what was then a common Nokia interface - the combination of connectors at the bottom of the phone. Up to then you could basically change your Nokia phone every year and the new phone would fit into your Nokia car kit because the connectors were the same on all of the Nokias through several models over the space of a few years in the 1990s.

Nokia car kits up to then incorporated a cradle that was hard wired into the base unit so if the phone didn't fit the cradle, the whole kit had to be replaced. So while some manufacturers like Siemens and Ericsson were introducing dinky new slim models using more efficient Li-Ion batteries, Nokia was stuck with the requirement that their models had to conform to a specific shape in order to fit into the car kits owned by their loyal customers.

When the 6310i was followed by new smaller models, Nokia introduced a car kit with a detachable cradle which allowed you to swap the cradle without having to swap out the base unit. Some people went along with this scheme, I just moved over to a Bluetooth car kit which is what you need to do.

I recall that at the time, swapping the cradle cost nearly half as much as a brand new Bluetooth car kit so staying with Nokia exposed you to rip-off prices just to swap the cradle whereas going Bluetooth meant that when you were changing the phone you could go for almost any model of mobile, all of which worked with the car kit and you didn't have to let a guy with a drill anywhere near your car.

There is no way you will find a cradle that will connect into a Nokia car kit and take an SGS handset.

Advertisement