Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same mobile number as me, but different prefix.

Options
  • 17-09-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    This isn't an issue or anything, just a question.

Someone rang me the other day, and dialled my number.
    Instead of putting of 086 in front of my number, they put 087 and someone answered it.

I thought the actual phone number was the 7 digits after the prefix?

E.G. 087-1234567 is the same as 086-1234567 etc..

Obviously not.
    If i was to change to the same network as them would that cause a problem or two? I remember when changing networks a few years ago, they used to change the prefix, to the network..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Since there has been number portability for some years, there is no reason not to use all numbers within one operator code.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Allyall wrote: »

I thought the actual phone number was the 7 digits after the prefix?

If that was the case there would be no need to include the prefix when calling a mobile because every seven digit number would be a unique mobile phone which is not the case.

But you're not too far off the mark. It used to be the case that a person using a mobile to call another mobile on the same network (e.g. 087 to 087) could dial only the seven digits, in the same way that a call from a landline to a landline in the same town can be dialled without dialling the area code.

However as a prelude to number portability the regulator told the networks to require all mobile calls to include the network (08x) prefix.

If i was to change to the same network as them would that cause a problem or two? I remember when changing networks a few years ago, they used to change the prefix, to the network..

That used to be the case but number portability changed the rules so for example Vodafone had to accept people with 086 numbers and allow them to keep the number.

Lots of couples went for the same number on different networks, my brother and his wife have the same seven digit number on 086 and 087.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

coylemj wrote: »
    Lots of couples went for the same number on different networks, my brother and his wife have the same seven digit number on 086 and 087.

Bejaysus and Begorrah!

That's brilliant, I never knew you could do that. That's the "Something new" i learned today.

Thanks for that. :D:D

Gonna rush to three network and get my number on 083. As it suits it better, as a work number. I hope it's available.

Do i just go into a three shop and ask for my number on 083?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Does this mean that the op cant port to 087 as the number is already in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Bejaysus and Begorrah!

That's brilliant, I never knew you could do that. That's the "Something new" i learned today.

Thanks for that. :D:D

Gonna rush to three network and get my number on 083. As it suits it better, as a work number. I hope it's available.

Do i just go into a three shop and ask for my number on 083?

This was commonly done in the past, but networks dont give special numbers anymore in most cases.

boc121 wrote: »
    Does this mean that the op cant port to 087 as the number is already in use?

No. His number isn't in use, its only part of his number. Dont think about the prefix, think of it as a ten digit number. 9 of the digits are the same, not 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Davy wrote: »
    No. His number isn't in use, its only part of his number. Dont think about the prefix, think of it as a ten digit number. 9 of the digits are the same, not 10.

I get it now.
    Cheers.

Advertisement