Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

castle leslie pike fishing

Options
  • 17-09-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

whats up lads?
    has anyone ever fished castle leslie up in co. monaghan
    i heard its expensive as you have to spend the night in the place to fish next day but my mate has been there and caught some serious pike he showed me some pike and they all doubles and one in the thirties!
    all returned unharmed
    but just wondering anyone fished and what success have you had
    thinking of going in two weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

The lake is called Glasshouse lough, you have to be a resident at the castle to fish it.
    Was lucky enough to fish it without having to stay(contacts:D) about 6 years ago. Think we had around 10 pike with the largest being 22lbs and the smallest around 8-9lbs, all caught on poped up roach or Trout with half the lake frozen.
    I'd love to go back even if it ment I had to stay.
    Matt Hayes did a very good show on it fishing from a boat, he was fishing some excellent methods which is what i would probably try if I was to return.
    You could probably pull the episode from the Internet easy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A lot of Pike went into Glasslough Lake in the 1990's from nearby Emy Lough.
    I wasn't aware of the Matt Hayes programme, I must look it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There is an interesting piece about it in Fred Buller'sDomesday Book of Mammoth Pike. Your library might have a copy.

coolwings wrote: »
    Fred Buller'sDomesday Book of Mammoth Pike.

Super little book. Not easily got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Bizzum wrote: »
    Super little book. Not easily got.

And not cheap either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    SeaFields wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

so i do have to stay the night then to fish it which i dont mind il be bringing the gf with me anyway she wants to go.
    but ive just heard so much bout mammoths up there im dying to go have loads of fresh joey mackerel caught few week ago for bait and some perfect size roach for spinning with thinking bout october to go what ya's reckon??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Even if you are a resisdent they still charge 100euro a day, think it's 150 a day for a non-resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

150 euro to catch a fish that is in every puddle in cavan?
    Use your money for salmon fishing
    Or maybe i just dont understand .......

gary29428 wrote: »
    Even if you are a resisdent they still charge 100euro a day, think it's 150 a day for a non-resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Holy sh*t - that's crazy money for a day's fishing. Especially for Pike fishing (I wouldn't pay that much for a day's salmon fishing either!) when there's loads of excellent free pike venues around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

To be fair Aidan there used to be loads of excellent free pike venues around the country. These are now few and far between for various reasons well documented on this and other forums. A wee lake less then a mile from my house used to have a crackin head of good pike, you wouldn't catch an old boot in it now. The writing was on the wall when Aldi started selling small rubber dingey's....:mad: That said I would in my a**e pay that money and I love pike fishing....

To be fair Aidan there used to be loads of excellent free pike venues around the country.

There still are.
    No need in the wide earthly world to be spending that type of money to fish where big pike are!
    Any Pike angler on here will know where to catch double figure Pike.

To be fair Aidan there used to be loads of excellent free pike venues around the country. These are now few and far between for various reasons well documented on this and other forums. A wee lake less then a mile from my house used to have a crackin head of good pike, you wouldn't catch an old boot in it now. The writing was on the wall when Aldi started selling small rubber dingey's....:mad: That said I would in my a**e pay that money and I love pike fishing....

You're right - a lot of good pike venues have been destroyed in recent years.

There are still good venues around though if you look for them. I think that in general the further you go from major urban centers and the more difficult the place is to access the better the pike fishing. One of my favorite things about fishing is finding remote places on the OSI maps and then exploring them for fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

theres a bridge on the barrow in carlow not far from the town.it is a good spot for pike above and below it .if u ever go into the tackle shop in carlow town.i think its called murphs tackle. they hav a pike stuffed on d wall its feckin massive must b pushin 35 t 40 pound. was caught on the barrow years ago.

you probably shouldn be telling where the pike are unless in a pm then everyone will see it and there'd be none left:mad:
    well i have it booked and its 300 for night stay and a days fishing mainly going to just spend time with the gf and show her good fishing i know its expensive but sure im hoping for big pike or even plenty of small doubles have loads of mackerel for bait :D

you probably shouldn be telling where the pike are unless in a pm then everyone will see it and there'd be none left:mad:
    well i have it booked and its 300 for night stay and a days fishing mainly going to just spend time with the gf and show her good fishing i know its expensive but sure im hoping for big pike or even plenty of small doubles have loads of mackerel for bait :D

Good luck with it. Would like to hear how you get on - please post how you get on here. For that price I'd be expecting a couple of 30's:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

well who d feck would eat pike anyway only d feckin p**ish and not all of them do to b fair.. but some. if it was salmon or sea trout i wouldnt tell anyone but people i no that fishes fr pike lets them back. u fish d dodder take it yr a dub then. there are many bridges that cross d barrow around there i never said the exact one .not that stupid.. i can pm u if u would like

well who d feck would eat pike anyway only d feckin p**ish and not all of them do to b fair.. but some. if it was salmon or sea trout i wouldnt tell anyone but people i no that fishes fr pike lets them back. u fish d dodder take it yr a dub then. there are many bridges that cross d barrow around there i never said the exact one .not that stupid.. i can pm u if u would like
    dude relax man was only havin a laugh wi you chill. i know bout the po**sh but sure thats the way life is unfortunately and not all them do either i work with loads that say pike is horrible and they always release them back
    never fished the barrow is it any use i usually fish using small dead roach and spinning him

aidanf wrote: »
    Good luck with it. Would like to hear how you get on - please post how you get on here. For that price I'd be expecting a couple of 30's:D
    30's? im expecting pike the size of a micra to come out for that price but we'll see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I've fished it a number of times in a group, rarely have a disappointing day on it, thought they do happen, as some times the pike just are not feeding. For dead bait rigs, the average size of fish is around 7lb so go for trebles of size 4's or 6's, don't go smaller.

It's a very deep lake and there are big pike in it, on a one day trip you will need to be mobile and move the boat around, a battery operated trolling engine will be needed, and have a fish finder to spot depths and drop-offs.

PM me if you aren't going to be with someone who knows the lake, I can at least get you started in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some stunning fish in that lake. Given the size of the lake there is an unusual amount of above average pike in it, plus a number of real whoppers.

Would not be surprised if one of the 30lbs+ fish that were in the lake some years back was in the 40lbs bracket now. I think for a lot of Pike anglers a glimpse of such a fish would turn them into specimen hunters. I know that two sightings I had of a massive fish in Lough Derg has done that to me anyway:D

What the lake does do is present any half competent angler an above average chance of catching the fish of a lifetime. If you fish there OP, then I hope you get to be that angler, and we get to see the pics on here of the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

aidanf wrote: »
    Holy sh*t - that's crazy money for a day's fishing. Especially for Pike fishing (I wouldn't pay that much for a day's salmon fishing either!) when there's loads of excellent free pike venues around the country.

In fairness that €100 (€150 for non residents) does include the use of a boat for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

well mate did u catch your monster pike ?

how did the trip go, i am off thee soon.

thanks
    ben

sorry lads havint been on this in ages no computer couldn get time off in the end from work which annoyed me big time but i am definately going soon hopefully before xmas and before the snow dont want to be ice fishing :D

Advertisement