Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper recycling

Options
  • 17-09-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Where can one take newpapers, paper packaging etc for recycling. I was surprised to see that the Council centre doesn't take paper. Do the recycling banks at shopping centres take paper ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No. Just buy a City Bin recycling bag, fill it and leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So in most UK towns charities collect newspaper to raise money & Galway charges to collect it ! It must all go to a recycling centre so it would be sensible to have recycling bins for paper in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm with you. I *really* don't know why there are no incentive schemes for paper and can recycling. I would pay an extra 5c on a can to know that I (or some scavenger warrior) could collect cans, take them to a depot and get a refund. It would keep streets cleaner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am not in the city but we have these "Bring Banks" but according to the Council website they don't have bins for paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm with you. I *really* don't know why there are no incentive schemes for paper and can recycling. I would pay an extra 5c on a can to know that I (or some scavenger warrior) could collect cans, take them to a depot and get a refund. It would keep streets cleaner too.

They do for cans: - from the Advertiser in July:
    ... saw the launch of the Galway City Council’s Cash for Cans initiative. Members of the public who collect the empty aluminium cans can return them to the Sandy Road Facility between 2pm and 4pm Monday to Thursday; 2pm and 3pm on Fridays; and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

@justmary brilliant! I missed this.

Of course I'd prefer the ones like they have in some countries, a vending machine near shops where you pop cans in and get dosh, but hey, this is a start, just means a hike to Sandy Road with my shopping trolley!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Has the can bank actually started? I know it was delayed a couple of times from its original start date.

Advertisement