Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce International UCD vs Business & German Trinty

Options
  • 17-09-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I need help/advice. I am going to college next year and I know I want to study Business & German, but I need advice on which course is better, Commerce International in UCD or Business & German in Trinity. I do prefer the sound of Business & German in Trinity, and I would prefer Trinity over UCD. However, I have heard mixed reports about Business & German in Trinity, but on the other side Commerce International is only new this year, so I'm unsure as to how that is.

So as you can probably see, I'm quite torn and I could really do with some help/advice. All is appreciated! Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Hildago

I'm currently in first year of Commerce International in UCD studying German and Chinese. I plan on dropping Chinese after Christmas and continuing with German as it's the language I've always wanted to do. This course was my first choice on my CAO because UCD's Quinn School of Business is the best business school in Ireland today...any degree you graduate with from here is internationally recognised which cannot be said for any other business degree from any other college in Ireland.

Our German tutors are very friendly and easy to approach with any problem. You will not attend any German lectures with hundreds of people in a lecture hall together at the one time but will attend tutorials and be part of a small class of roughly 20-30 people where there is no chance of getting lost in the crowd and falling behind. It's advisable to take up a German related module for your elective to enhance your language skills but that's a whole other topic!

With regards the businessy type modules, they're fine, some of them I'm not a massive fan of (such as Economics...:confused:..bad times!) but that's not really anything to worry about. They're all manageable and quite easy to pass due to the help of having mid-term exams and continuous assesment which go towards your final grade. There are also support centres for most subjects which you can drop into if you feel you can't keep up at any point.

In UCD, you also have the opportunity to study a new language in your first semester as well, which might not be something that you really think matters now, but you will be glad you had the experience once you've done it. I picked Chinese simply because I'll probably never have the chance to learn it again and it really is tempting to drop German and keep up Chinese. So many people went into my course with the plan of doing Chinese until Christmas for the laugh and then keeping up their other language but have now changed their mind and I can understand why. I'll be sorry to see Chinese go and I'm so glad I had the chance to learn it. This was the main change in the B Comm International curriculum - 2 languages instead of one - and it was a great idea.

UCD is also a great college to go to. I was afraid, mainly because of the sheer size of the place, that I would have trouble settling in and would find it hard to make friends but this hasn't been a problem at all...there's always a great buzz about the place! Get involved in things, get stuck in and you'll have a ball! :D

Having said all that, I have a friend studying Business and French in Trinity and she loves it there too. All her friends are lovely and she's having a great time...it really depends on what you want personally, no matter what advice people give you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LXV94

That was so helpful, thank you so much! As Commerce International is a new course I haven't heard anything about it before. I was almost ruling it out as an option because I thought UCD may be too big, but I'll now definitely consider it! :D

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Any new opinions on business and german in trinity?Doing the LC this year and want to study either it or Commerce with german in UCD.Anyone know how much the erasmus year costs in total roughly?Is the course doable?What level of german is required from the LC to succeed in this course?
    Thanks a lot in advance

Advertisement