Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mp5

Options
  • 17-09-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

can anyone tell me can i buy/use an MP5 in Ireland,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Bad news , the only way you'll get your hands on an MP-5 in Ireland is an Airsoft one and if that's what you want talk to the lads here.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The original MP5 would be a class A firearm in the EU - you can't legally buy one as a civilian anywhere in Europe. The semi-auto civilian versions, the HK94 and the various SF models of the MP5, wouldn't be class A but I don't think you could licence them here because legally they'd be restricted short firearms in some cases and they'd be rifles with barrels under the 20" limit in others (and they'd be restricted as well because of the calibre, even if 9x19 is a lower power round than .308).

Short answer? Not at all for the MP5 and not unless you have a chief superintendent who really likes you for the HK94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Don't think there is any real discipline you could use it in anyway, there are ar15 type rifles licenced , also the m1 garand and russian svt40 , these are full length semi's chambered for proper rifle rounds like the .306 and 7.62 russian.
    They can be used in competitions organised by the vcrai amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The first question that any astute member of AGS would ask is 'what do you want it for?'

The conversation, I fear, would rapidly go south thereafter.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

chefgreg wrote: »

Course you can if your in the ARW:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chefgreg

thanks for the reply lads, just that i was over in london there and my brother has an mp5 semi auto (gun club) and i really fell in love with it !!!!

thanks for the reply lads, just that i was over in london there and my brother has an mp5 semi auto (gun club) and i really fell in love with it !!!!

If your brother has one he has it illegally , the only semi autos allowed in the uk are .22lr, unless its a section 7 and they have to be signed off personally by the home secretary and are very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Are you sure it wasn't a .22?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I think it might be a GSG5 .22 not really up to much, but the one below seems a better option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think thats what the OP is refering to. The GSG-5. Its an MP5 clone thats uses .22lr rounds.

Still has a number of pitfalls here.
    • Can only be semi auto/single shot. Not fully auto.
    • No more than 10 rounds.
    • Barrel lebgth will be an issue.
    • Folding stock.
    • The "i don't like the look of that".
    • Etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Fine Weapon:rolleyes: fired it many times

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

GSG5.22 is not a great job at all very poor quality really prone to jaming no matter how much you clean or oil, there is lots of problems in the US at the moment over them just Google the one in my last post is a really one Umarex HK MP5 .22 but lets wait for the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 28 virgindrummer

Sparks wrote: »
    The original MP5 would be a class A firearm in the EU - you can't legally buy one as a civilian anywhere in Europe.

That's incorrect. I have fired class A firearms that were legally owned by civilians in Europe. It's possible in several jurisdictions, including nation states that are members of the EU, various dependencies and territorial collectivities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's incorrect. I have fired class A firearms that were legally owned by civilians in Europe. It's possible in several jurisdictions, including nation states that are members of the EU, various dependencies and territorial collectivities etc.
    It requires the state you're in to have a specific law exempting their ownership:
    91/477/EEC wrote:
    Article 6
    Member States shall take all appropriate steps to prohibit the acquisition and the possession of the firearms and ammunition classified in category A. In special cases, the competent authorities may grant authorizations for such firearms and ammunition where this is not contrary to public security or public order.
    Very few states have such laws. We certainly don't...

Norway on a collectors licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

rowa wrote: »
    Norway on a collectors licence ?

Maybe but i know that joe soap cant even get the HK94.

Not an actual MP5 but varients of it could are allowed to be licenced.

As mentioned the American version (the HK94), It has a 16" barrel and over all length over 34" that would allow it is classed as a rifle under irish law.

As to your reasons for wanting it.... thats something that youll have to be creative with.

It most definatly would be a .22, there hugely popular in the UK as are many .22 varients of centerfire firearms.

Luxemberg is 1 of those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ironically,some of the former "oppressive Communist dictatorships",who are now trying to get into the EU[God help them!] have plenty off FA stuff knocking about in civvie hands.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ironically,some of the former "oppressive Communist dictatorships",who are now trying to get into the EU[God help them!] have plenty off FA stuff knocking about in civvie hands.:)

The czech's have very liberal gun laws and shooting is the third most popular sport there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_Czech_Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

...much of which can be found down of the quays of a saturday night....;)

tac

• Advertisement

To the OP,

I forgot to mention that origional HK MP5s are rare civilian hands in europe. The last HK varient that I saw was an MP5SDA3 for €4200 but the only way to licence it is if you already have a center fire pistol licence (the barrel is a meer 14.6mm long and overall length of 78 cm so it is classed as a short arm)

I have seen several MP5 clones (made under licence using HK tooling after HK stopped production of there delay roller locking guns). The 2 main clones manufacturers and best made in my experience are POF (Pakistin Ordnance Factory) and MKE (Mechanical and Chemical Industrial Corporation). Ive heard of others (Enfield and S.A.R) but in rare numbers.

MKE is the only company of the 2 that make a varient that can be sold as a rifle here. There model T-94 rifle has a barrel of 42cm and an overall length of 87.8cm. I have a MKE roller locing gun in .223 and there quailty/fit and finish is as good as the origional HKs.

GH

Advertisement