Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Tyrrell, Michael Hartnett, Billy Mulvihill

• 17-09-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello All,

I'm not from Ireland, and can't seem to find anything on the web: who was Billy Mulvihill (referenced in poem by Michael Hartnett, put to music by Sean Tyrrell)? Any help appreciated!

The Ghost of Billy Mulvihill Lyrics

While looking out my window in the heart of Dublin 4
    The ghost of Billy Mulvihill was walking by my door.
    He wore a heavy coat his face was pale and thin
    He waved up at my window but I wouldn’t let him in.

What was he doin’ walkin’ on upper Leeson street?
    A cardboard suitcase in his hand and hobnails on his feet
    He flashed up at my window his old big tooth grin.
    But I moved back in the shadows and I wouldn’t call him in.

As I moved behind the curtain and beat a coward’s retreat,
    The ghost of Billy Mulvihill walked up Leeson street.
    He vanished in the traffic his suitcase full of sin,
    I knew he wanted comfort but I wouldn’t let him in.

That night as I saw writing the clock said nearly four,
    The ghost of Billy Mulvihill stood on my kitchen floor
    “The fight you’re fighting Mikey is a fight you’ll never win”
    But I locked the door inside my head and I wouldn’t let him in.

Repeat He waved up at my window but I wouldn’t let him in.
    I knew he wanted comfort but I wouldn’t let him in.
    I locked the door inside my head and I did not let him in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Did you try emailing Sean Tyrrell to ask him?

Sean@seantyrrell.com

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jams O'Donnell

Not sure I have the chutzpah to do that -- Hate to bother the man!

But thank you; I'll keep digging, and see what I can find, before resorting to the more direct route of an email! It's a lovely poem, and lovely song, though, even if any topicality has been lost to time. If I figure it out, I'll post again. Cheers!

PS: top result in Google for a search on Hartnett and Mulvihill is now this thread . . . Did find a review of the book the poem appears in (A Book of Strays). It quotes an interesting couple of lines from another of Hartnett's poems, complaining about academia's appropriation of Kavanagh:

I'd rather be forgotten out of hand
    than wronged in bronze:
    let the sad facts stand.

Now, it's become something of a quest to see if I can help the sad facts stand. The poem/song first reminded me of "I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night," and so I don't want to keep thinking of Billy Mulvihill as a labor organizer if he wasn't, or if Billy Mulvihill is not a particular historical figure at all, but a more personal ghost . . . .Even mudcat.org has not been able to help, and those people usually know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jimmylala

If I can remember correctly - Billy Mulvihill was a neighbour or acquaintance of Michael Hartnett from his home town of Newcastle West in County Limerick. Michael had a dream where he saw the ghost of Billy walking outside his street and from that -really believed he was dead -got a bit of a fright when he met him again when he returned home for a visit. I heard this story on a four part radio programme West Limerick 102fm (radio station) did on michael hartnett- real story bit more interesting can only barely remember it. If your interested you could contact the radio station and get the program.

Also Sean Tyrll appeared on the documentary with michael in 1999 , See http://www.harvestfilms.ie/michael-hartnett-a-necklace-of-wrens This was the year michael died, great film- they both talk about that song and their first meeting is recorded . Sean recorded this Mh poem too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MCzlx9cMrM

Many thanks, Jimmylala. Will definitely follow-up with the radio station. I admit, I've been hoping that the story was personal (we've all had Billy Mulvihills in our lives). Thanks for the links. I also found a recording of Hartnett reading "Inchicore Haiku," -- put together with video/slides for this year's Èigse Michael Hartnett Literary and Arts Festival. The reading is particularly good, I think:

http://bit.ly/qx0NmW

Many thanks again.

• Advertisement

They are a community radio station based in newcastle west so they should be able to help you, I had it myself but misplaced it - Very well made show.Think it was 2008 and produced by Elaine Crowley. Cheers about the video I made it :D

Hey, that's a riot you made the video, and, here I am, sending you the link. (I didn't notice the Youtube name . . . ) I first found it through the Èigse website, and have played it many times these past few days! Thank you for creating it and posting it. And many thanks, again, for helping with the background to the Mulvihill poem.

:D glad you enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Jams did you ever find out your answer?

Well, Jimmylala was pretty confident that Billy was a friend of Hartnett's from "back home," so not a public figure. I haven't contacted the radio station yet to learn more details if possible; just haven't made the time. But Jimmy's help has solved my main question -- was Billy Mulvihill someone I would know if were Irish? Or, is he a personal kind of ghost from a personal past, making the lack of clear biography an inherent element of the poem (i.e., a common experience for any readers, Irish or otherwise)? I like Tyrrell's musical version a great deal, and so it's nice not to be distracted by wondering if I was missing an important reference that would change the meaning of the poem. (Plus, I once lived on Leeson street, and have my own ghosts, so it's been nice to sing along . . .)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I'll find out for you.

Hey, fair play to you. That would be great . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jim1677

Hi I think I might have a few answers on this
    I am married to Michael hartnetts cousin
    I come from a small village about nine miles
    From Newcastle west called shanagolden and I am pleased to say I knew billy mulvihill he was a friend of hartnetts they drank together
    When Michael was in dublin and trying to stay
    Off the drink mulvihill would call lookin for a bed
    for the night and he'd always have a bag of drink with hem or in this occasion a case full.
    Hope you find this helpful.

Many thanks, Jim for confirming that Billy Mulvihill was a personal friend (and a personal ghost) of Hartnett's.  I really love this poem -- and Sean Tyrell's song.  In fact, I am besotted by almost everything Hartnett wrote in English (the only poems currently accessible to me, given my lack of Irish), and the more I read his work, the more besotted I become.  Many thanks, again, for sharing what you know on this thread.  Cheers!

Advertisement