Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage Backup - Help

Options
  • 17-09-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looked out today and saw toilet paper, etc in my back yard...

There is a (main) sewage line inspection hatch in my backyard and it is clear (from the crap around the rusted cover) that this has overflowed leaving all the debris and crap behind in my yard.... completely disgusting.

Also, as our bedroom backs up on the yard and has a sub floor vent just above the ground, I guess that the sewage water will have flowed under our bedroom floor.

Can anyone advise who is responsible for fixing the problem and clearing the mess - is is Wicklow Co. Co? Can't get through to them. Or my insurance company? (This seems a bit unfair as the fault is due to the main sewage line). I'm hoping it's a once off but am concerned about the health effects of having untreated sewage in the yard/underneath my deck? Any advice would be appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Call out a drain clearing company and get it sorted quick, worry about who's responsible afterwards.
    Its probably a blockage caused by nappies or similar being flushed down the toilet, so perhaps a polite leaflet drop in the houses near you afterwards may alter peoples behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Are you in an estate, the cause of the blockage could be your neighbours place. The sewage that has seeped under your decking and sub floors will do no harm disgusting though it is. Check with your neighbours and then go and buy sewer rods and run them through the sewerage til you unblock the cause.
    Many blockages are caused by those wet wipes being flushed through the toilets.
    You are alarmed but honestly it is not as harmful as you think, but you do need to clear the blockage.

Be aware that a drain clearing company will be very costly for what may be a simple job with sewer rods.

Link here to Drain Surgeons>http://www.greystonesguide.com/plumbing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Agree with above the rods will cost a fraction of a call out with a drain clearing co. You can get them in woodies and horrible job but if you know anyone remotely handy they could probably do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gerdoli

Looks like tomorrow is not going to be a day of rest.....

Thanks for your responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Ring and get a price from a professional company anyway, it may not be as much as you think. From memory it only cost me €80 last time I used one when I got a rod stuck along the pipe.
    Be careful with those rods from Woodies. They're pretty c*ap, the threaded section is attached to what is effectively only hydrodare by a thin metal bar. In some cases this will rip through the hydrodare when you go to remove the rod, leaving you with a much bigger problem.
    Given too that the rods will cost you €3-4 each,(you may need 10-12), plus a worm or similar, it may not be as cost effective as you thought.
    If you do go the DIY route, make sure you keep turning the rods clockwise as you push and retrieve them. Otherwise they may become detached from each other.
    Best of luck.

gerdoli wrote: »
    Looks like tomorrow is not going to be a day of rest.....

Thanks for your responses

Did you get it sorted ?

Advertisement