Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going to college next year!!!!!!

Options
  • 17-09-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if ye could help me in relation to the above title.

I give some background:

So first off, i have not done my leaving certificate. What i have though is two Open university certificates.
    1. Certificate in Information Technology And Computing.
    2. Certificate in Computing And Mathematics.

I have looked into the equivalence from the NFQ and it shows that the certificates are Hetac Level 6 Higher Certificate.

So my questions are:
    Path A
    i think i may have to go down would be to get my leaving certificate equivalence which would be a Fetac Level 5 or 6 i believe.
    Path B
    As the qualifications i already have are Hetac Level 6 would the progression be Hetac Level 7 or 8

This brings me to my other question, by going down path A above im i not going forward but back?

Any insight as to what are my options would be very welcoming

Eamonn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jacknaw

Depending on your age could you apply as a mature student?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I was in a similar situation as yourself not so long ago.
    I dropped out of school before the leaving. I workd for a while and sat a certificate course or two.

I applied for 3rd level courses as a mature student aswell as access courses too in case i got no offers to the courses I chose.
    The courses I applied for you needed higher level maths in leaving cert to get a course and as I applied as a mature student this was waved by a few colleges.

I would reccommend going straight to college or an access course above sitting the leaving as a lot of colleges have a good scheme to help people in your situation.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement