Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to finish and furnish 180 sq. metre dormer house

Options
  • 17-09-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,

I'm wondering could somebody provide me with a ballpark figure on how much I would expect to complete a 180 sq metre dormer house which has being completed to builders finish.

Just to give a run down on where its at, at the moment and what needs done

The shell is complete and airtight, all windows and doors are in along with all interior doors. Skirting and architrave all completed. Staircase in place.

House is plumbed and fully wired along with light fittings. Radiators and central heating system along with zoned heating controls all in place. Alarm would need to be put in although wiring for the alarm is in place.

The three bathrooms are all complete, sanitary ware in place, tiled etc. Interior is painted

Flooring needs to be laid. I have semi solid timber flooring in mind

Will need to put in a fitted kitchen and appliances, sink, fridge, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and plumb appliances in as the case may be.

Two open fireplaces will need to be put in. Finally furnishings.... 4 double bedrooms, kitchen, sitting room, and lounge. No conservatory. Finally curtains and other such soft furnishings

Very little immediately needs to be done outside. Lawns are laid, footpaths, driveway etc. complete but some kerbing needs to be laid of which I don't know exactly how much of the top of my head. If somebody could give me a ballpark figure of how much to buy and lay kerbing per metre length the would be fantastic. If not thats grand too.

I would like to finish the house to a medium spec. Nothing overly elaborate but nothing too low grade either such that I'd need to be buying twice. Only labour costs I can forsee are putting down floors, putting in fireplaces and kitchen and plumbing in the appliances I mentioned.

Many thanks in advance for any figures and pointers ye may be able to throw at me. If any additional information is needed I will try to provide as best I can

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

hard to give a ball park. i seen someone on this say they could finish a house for less than 50 a sq ft including building a while back. i know i couldnt do it. if i was to give an absloute guess i'd say 30k min. theres loads of places closing selling off cheap, end of line stock, sales all depends how good you are at sourcing bargains and can you wait for the right deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ash.woody

Many thanks 1chippy and I do appreciate it will be difficult to even provide a ballpark figure. I was strongly considering a self build up until recently. I woud be in a position to acquire a site for nominal consideration if not free in reality but even at that I'm now much more inclined towards buying a prebuilt house. I sincerely don't think you would build as cheaply as you would buy a pre-built house for now, even taking the cost of any site out of it. Some of the costings on the self build threads here seem astronomical. Plus too many neighbours and relations had away too much trouble and headaches getting planning permission of late also.

Thats all a bit besides the point anyway. I viewed a number of houses over the past week. Some were complete and furnished and to be sold as such. Others, were complete to builders finish. Others still were at an advanced stage of the build but a sizeable amount of work needed to complete, needing plastering, electrical fittings, radiators, doors, skirting, architrave etc. and all that comes after that.

After viewing them all I'm just weighing one up against the next, and along with that trying to ascertain how much it would cost to complete each etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭altor

ash.woody wrote: »
    Alarm would need to be put in although wiring for the alarm is in place.

For a price for this I recommend getting a few installers in to quote. Make sure you get a details of the systems they plan to install plus what they are covering, there are a lot of cheap systems on the market that you should stay away from. The HKC Securewave or the signet would be two good systems to use. Depending on what you need installed will determine the price. If you check out the PSA website here you will get a few close to you. Installers of alarm systems need to be registered by law.

Advertisement