Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Spailpín Fánach & An tEarrach Thiar

• 17-09-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please give me an english summary of HL Gaeilge poems An Spailpín Fánach and An tEarrach Thiar?

Thanks!

Maria

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I won't be much use with An Spailiín Fánach, because I completely avoid that poem, but I can try to help with An tEarrach Thiar!

Basically, the poem is a series of images. After a quick google search to remind myself of the poem (my book's in school :p), I found two translations - here and here. They might help you with what the images are about. The poet is trying to illustrate the beauty and peace of spring in the west, so he shows us the different images - the farmer cleaning the earth from his spade, the men collecting the red seaweed in baskets on their backs, the women in the rockpools, and the fishermen coming home in the evening. Really the poem is just images, so once you understand what's going on and what the poet is trying to show, you should be okay, but it's been a while since I looked over this poem so don't take my word for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭mariok

thanks!!

Advertisement