Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random disconnects reset download speed

• 17-09-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

My line is capable up to 8MB, while I do not get the full speeds I generally get around 650kb/s which is grand for me.
    But for some reason sometimes the DSL and Internet light on the router will turn off, loose the internet connection for maybe 20 seconds and re-connect. But when it does re-connect the speed will have dropped down to 200kb/s.

I then have to reset it manually myself to receive the full download speed.

Is this some kind of Eircom gimmick or whats the story?? It's been annoying me for the past few days!

just happened again there while I was typing this

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Battleflag wrote: »
    My line is capable up to 8MB, while I do not get the full speeds I generally get around 650kb/s which is grand for me.
    But for some reason sometimes the DSL and Internet light on the router will turn off, loose the internet connection for maybe 20 seconds and re-connect. But when it does re-connect the speed will have dropped down to 200kb/s.

I then have to reset it manually myself to receive the full download speed.

Is this some kind of Eircom gimmick or whats the story?? It's been annoying me for the past few days!

just happened again there while I was typing this

What are you line stats? Drop outs are often due to low snr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Line Attenuation: 46.0db/25.0db
    Noise Margin: 20db/22db

I see nothing about SNR? I have a netgear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jeez, dunno about 8mbits at 46db ...even with a healthy 20b margin.

what are those stats just before you disconnect/reset BTW ....bet the margin is a lot lower.

Yoru d/l speed indicates it drops from c.5mbits ( 650KB) to 1.8mbits ( 220KB) and loses synch or hangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I have no idea what the stats are before it disconnects, its completely random so I would never be able to check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Strangely enough I've been having the same issue with Eircom over the last week. The red light comes on under Internet on the router however I'm usually down for about 15 mins. I don't get the drop in speed but am off for longer. I have the same setup/line ect for the past few years without issue(3mb Line) untill lately. The actual problem lies in the PPPoE connection and the modem cannot get an ip address/gateway. I'm in Dublin 15. Maybe Eircom are doing some work on the lines???

• Advertisement
Advertisement