Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of funds for USA F1 Visa

Options
  • 18-09-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I would like to study for a year abroad in the US. I know that I have to show proof of funds to support myself for the year. If I were to save up €10,000 - €12,000 by the time of the interview would that be enough?

Also does anyone know if it possible to get pre-approved by for my grant to be continued so as that could be shown as another source of funds for the year?

Thanks

(My school will be paying for my fees in the USA)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Where is the school? Would that be everything or is accomodation covered by the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The amount you will need will be entirely school-specific. It costs a lot more to live in NYC than Houston for example. My school had a cost of living for Houston in their F1 form, including tuition, health insurance etc. And then the stipend that PhD students got was exactly this amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

The school is in Kentucky, on their website they recommend €9500 that includes Accommodation and a Meal plan, books, local travel and personal stuff. Doesn't include flights.

The grant would be approx €6000 so I will have €16,000 - €18,000 in total. (Maby an extra 1 or 2 thousand)

So my total costs would be about €12,500 including flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

with the grant, you will be very comfortably above the US poverty level, so that should be fine, especially for Kentucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭NiRiainRua

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    The school is in Kentucky, on their website they recommend €9500 that includes Accommodation and a Meal plan, books, local travel and personal stuff. Doesn't include flights.

The grant would be approx €6000 so I will have €16,000 - €18,000 in total. (Maby an extra 1 or 2 thousand)

So my total costs would be about €12,500 including flights.

Beautiful State....hope you like horses!
    You should be OK, and I think you are allowed to work a part-time job, if you can find one. See if you can save a bit on your books....buy second hand, as long as the curriculum hasn't changed.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

NiRiainRua wrote: »
    Beautiful State....hope you like horses!
    You should be OK, and I think you are allowed to work a part-time job, if you can find one. See if you can save a bit on your books....buy second hand, as long as the curriculum hasn't changed.
    Good luck!

I do, I love them have had horses all my life

Advertisement