Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poll: Do you have a power meter?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

No, but I'd get one if they were cheaper

Cheers - yep I've read that one.

More interested in the next version with his actual usage and comparisons against alternatives.
    He said it will be ready for release date so until then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Lumen wrote: »
    To what end?

Accurate calorie counting is not necessary for weight loss, and power numbers are only useful for training if they're accurate.

Also, Garmin has licenced better calorie algorithms for the 500. I'd doubt a home-grown effort would produce anything nearly as good.

In that case, which is right, unless racing there isn't a great need to lash out on a power meter and current garmin data is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ashleey wrote: »
    In that case, which is right, unless racing there isn't a great need to lash out on a power meter and current garmin data is good enough.

Nicholas Roche doesn't have a power meter either. So it's far from essential, even for a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

No
    Nicholas Roche doesn't have a power meter either. So it's far from essential, even for a pro.

Far from essential - totally - but could he possibly be better with one - his time trialing?

He probably (actually does anyone know this) works with a great coach that dictates what he needs to do etc... For the self coached cyclist, a PM can help guide that a little more assuming you want to put in the ground work and understand some of the basics.

Sean Kelly never had a PM :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Freire doesn't even use a bike computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yes, but he will be a dying breed. Once technology becomes viral, ever who wants to just get by must have it.
    eg - You dont need a TT bike to do a TT and indeed some of the top TT experts would beat most of the rest of the field if they were riding theor standard road bike. However once you introduce it it becomes a fit for inches.
    Power meters will be 80% serious racers from pro to elite amatuer within five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

And not forgetting that Sunday sportive will find them essential in getting round the An post series and boring the pants off their mates with their stats by next year

ISTR that Freire claims that he doesn't do any training.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nah. He said that if he did as much training as people like Zabel, he'd be dead on his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Nah. He said that if he did as much training as people like Zabel, he'd be dead on his feet.

Freire is a pure natural so he wouldn't need a pulse meter. He listens to his body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

No
    There are serious bargains to be had if your looking for a powertap, i picked up my second for 710 dollars new a powertap sl that i ll lace into my FFWD FR6, if i had the cash id get a SRM wireless but untill then i like the look of the durace setup i have and stick with the cheapo powertaps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Nicholas Roche has a SRM Power Meter since September 2010. He wanted a more scientific approach to his training for this season. Whether he uses it is another thing....

I wonder what Kelly think of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No
    yutta wrote: »
    Wireless DA on each of my 5 bikes.

And do you find the slope varies much between them all?

No
    Fazz wrote: »
    My 310xt has been pretty solid and I love it.
    Hr has been good, only odd weakness is ow swim when on wrist but that's my too critical for me.

Its not good though thats the thing, its consistency off. Most just don't notice.
    I don't see the pedals as being fragile at all. The parts are replaceable and I've not damaged a pedal yet, despite having a recent slide it was my shoe that took brunt of it really.
    The pm parts are on the inside so really not an issue at all.

Ah handy that, so being on the inside means they can't snap?
    The quality of the power reading has to be just as good or it wouldn't have got this far.

Ever heard of ergomo?
    Again a solid review with comparisons to output against other products will reveal all.
    I think dcrainmaker has a Quarq and a Computrainer so it will be evident if the pedal based system is as accurate or not when he does comparisons.

Test of the Quarq by the wattage heads have already shown big problems with the accuracy of that data.......
    Seems to be a bit of Garmin phobia here but my experience is good as are many others.

can you tell me what happened when garmin introduced support for power devices on their head units? (hint smart recording)

tunney wrote: »
    Test of the Quarq by the wattage heads have already shown big problems with the accuracy of that data.......

References?

• Advertisement

No
    References?

Will find - was when a quarq was used to baseline for a P2M test that problems with the data in certain circumstances were noticed.

Doesn't really matter as Sean Kelly didn't have one.

Will find - was when a quarq was used to baseline for a P2M test that problems with the data in certain circumstances were noticed.

The last time I browsed around wattage for this stuff, I found lots of talk about statistical anomalies from sample rates, but it seemed to even out over a
    few crank revolutions. I couldn't really find anything that was discrediting a particular crank-based meter.

There are some interesting discussions about training load metrics. Is it Allen who reckons he can do 1hr at threshold every single day without getting excessively fatigued?

No
    The last time I browsed around wattage for this stuff, I found lots of talk about statistical anomalies from sample rates, but it seemed to even out over a
    few crank revolutions. I couldn't really find anything that was discrediting a particular crank-based meter.

There are some interesting discussions about training load metrics. Is it Allen who reckons he can do 1hr at threshold every single day without getting excessively fatigued?

The quarq data wasn't being dismissed as useless - just strange in places.

Yes the CTL/ATL/TSB versus HRV one recently was good. given my ATL is rocketing recently and my TSB is through the floor I wish my HRV device was still working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Its not good though thats the thing, its consistency off. Most just don't notice.

Not good in what way exactly?
    - perhaps you've a bad device or not updated to fix bugs?
    My 310xt is excellent for gps/speed/pace/time/hr/lap/cadence in bike and run modes. I've correlated with other devices and I'm very satisfied.
    And very consistent as I do regular routes.
    If you're querying hr consistency then perhaps you should consider dehydration/nutrition/tiredness and how hr is affected here.
    Ah handy that, so being on the inside means they can't snap?
    Yes. If I haven't broken a pedal then I'm very unlikely to break a part on and inside the pedal fixed and not loose.
    Anything can snap as in the inside bit but are replaceable so not a concern as deemed unlikely for me.
    I know a guy that crashed and broke his carbon frame on first ride. Did that stop me and many others buying and enjoying carbon frames, no.
    Ever heard of ergomo?
    Go on...
    So references and what quarq is now inaccurate? To what % level?
    can you tell me what happened when garmin introduced support for power devices on their head units? (hint smart recording)
    Point?

I can see you're not happy with your Garmin and so have a closed mind on the Vector it seems.
    Do you have the same opinion on Polars pedal based power system also?

So in your mind if it's not srm it's not accurate?
    Technology has improved there's no reason yet to be sceptical on pedal based systems until real world tests done in my opinion.

No
    Not good in what way exactly?
    - perhaps you've a bad device or not updated to fix bugs?
    My 310xt is excellent for gps/speed/pace/time/hr/lap/cadence in bike and run modes. I've correlated with other devices and I'm very satisfied.
    And very consistent as I do regular routes.
    If you're querying hr consistency then perhaps you should consider dehydration/nutrition/tiredness and how hr is affected here.

Its not just me :) Lots of people have problems with HR.

Being pedantic, the Garmin knows your location very well.
    You know what they say about knowing location and speed......
    Yes. If I haven't broken a pedal then I'm very unlikely to break a part on and inside the pedal fixed and not loose.
    Anything can snap as in the inside bit but are replaceable so not a concern as deemed unlikely for me.
    I know a guy that crashed and broke his carbon frame on first ride. Did that stop me and many others buying and enjoying carbon frames, no.
    Have you seen the Garmin or Polar pedal offerings in the flesh - very exposed.
    Go on...
    Power meter brought to market, sold lots, company went tits up. Didn't *really* measure power properly (well it did but only from one leg), getting to market and being up to scratch are two different things.

So references and what quarq is now inaccurate? To what % level?

The data was seen to be dirty under certain circumstances. reference - not published papers.
    Point?

You obviously don't know what happened when garmin first started supporting power............
    I can see you're not happy with your Garmin and so have a closed mind on the Vector it seems.

HAHA garmin fanboy takes insult at garmin being insulted.
    Once bitten twice shy
    Do you have the same opinion on Polars pedal based power system also?
    I've seen it in the flesh so to speak and it looks pretty much indentical to the garmin one. Exposed and fragile.

I reserve judgement on it as no one has yet properly tested *any* pedal based system.
    So in your mind if it's not srm it's not accurate?

SRM is gold standard no doubt, Powertap too mind.

P2M looks good but some data quality issues when compared to SRMs, mainly due to the accelerometer based cadence.
    Technology has improved there's no reason yet to be sceptical on pedal based systems until real world tests done in my opinion.

Likewise there is absolutely no reason to suggest that they work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement